[News] Amanda Palmer Slams MAFIAA Philosophy as Attacks Even on Legal Sharing Continue

  • Subject: [News] Amanda Palmer Slams MAFIAA Philosophy as Attacks Even on Legal Sharing Continue
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 20:34:47 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Amanda Palmer Talks About Connecting With Fans: Fans WANT To Support Artists

,----[ Quote ]
| i started my band in 2000. we didn't play rock clubs. we played in our
| friends houses, in our own houses, in art galleries, in lofts, at parties.
| then we gradually brought the party indoors, into clubs that would book us
| once they knew we'd bring in 50 drinking/paying bodies. i treated our email
| list like gold. i obsessively stayed up all night and added named after every
| show. we took the time to meet every single fan who wanted to meet us after
| every show (i still do this, and i know that brian does it in his current
| punk band, world/inferno). but this wasn't because i felt it was
| mandatory....i did this because we LIKED it.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090731/1501475731.shtml

Reasons Why Copyright On Art And Music Could Be Deemed Unconstitutional

,----[ Quote ]
| Bell is interpreting the Constitutional clause in an even stricter manner --
| suggesting that any work covered by patents or copyright needs to promote
| both progress in science and in the useful arts, which is an even higher bar,
| though I'm not sure I'm convinced it was meant to be both. Also, many would
| retort that the Constitution grants the Congress the ability to determine if
| such monopolies promote the progress of science and the useful arts -- and as
| long as Congress says they do, then we should consider that they do (no
| matter how wrong they might be).
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090729/0410235693.shtml

Italian RIAA Sues The Pirate Bay For 1 Million Euros

,----[ Quote ]
| Lawyers from FIMI (Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana) and FPM
| (Federation against Musical Piracy) say they will sue Peter Sunde, Fredrik
| Neij and Gottfrid Svartholm in Italy, seeking damages in excess of 1 million
| euros. Their lawyer told TorrentFreak that so far, the prospective defendants
| have had no official notification.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/italian-riaa-suesthe-pirate-bay-for-1-million-euros-090731/

Pirate Bay also distributes GNU/Linux distros.

European Commission secret move on 3-strikes

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Commission is secretly talking  with industry on Europe-wide
| 3-strikes measures. In what would appear to be British-inspired intiative, it
| wants to broker agreements between broadband providers and rights-holders,
| threatening EU legislation if they do not co-operate.
|
| A meeting was held on 6 July, attended by rights-holders, trade unions, and
| Internet providers. The Commission's agenda was to start of series of talks
| to set up âvoluntary agreeements' for dealing on online copyright protection
| of âcreative content' which is defined as âbooks, films and
| music'.  âSanctions and remedies' were discussed, as well as âlegal
| alternatives to piracy'.  The Commission is threatening to bring in a new
| European law which would bring in copyright enforcement measures against
| Internet downloading in all Member States, if no agreement is reached.
`----

http://www.iptegrity.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=378&Itemid=9

No false positives? Who decides? One ISP make a 1-strike rule (see below)!

Recent:

Plug pulled on suspected pirates

,----[ Quote ]