[News] An Attack on Fair Use Leads to a Vision

What Would Fair Use Look Like in an Online Era?

,----[ Quote ]
| four-part âfair useâ test.
|
|    1. The presence and quality of the link.
|    2. Does the new format provide the opportunity for democratic engagement
|    that is unavailable at the original provider?
|    3. Courts should consider this balance: between the added value of
|    information (provided by the so-called appropriator) and amount of
|    appropriation of the âoriginalâ work.
|    4. What is the overall purpose  and character of the appropriating
|    organization?
`----

http://journalismschool.wordpress.com/2009/07/24/what-would-fair-use-look-like-in-an-online-era/

We Never Sold Journalism

,----[ Quote ]
| And then, somebody built a better mousetrap. Google isn't a threat to the
| publishing industry because it "steals" its content for Google News. It's a
| threat because it destroyed our advertising models.
`----

http://www.onemanandhisblog.com/archives/2009/07/we_never_sold_journalism.html

Recent:

YouTube Restores A Fair Use

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's what's different about this takedown: NOM's lawyer asked YouTube to
| restore the video immediately, rather than keeping it off-line for the
| standard 10-14 business day counternotice period. And YouTube, after doing
| its own fair use analysis, agreed and obliged.
`----

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/05/youtube-restores

AP: Others Who Use Our Work For Free Are Stealing... Now Who Wants To Provide
Content To Us For Free?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090623/0405515325.shtml