[News] GNU/Linux Desktop Gets Eye Candy Even with Mesa

Compiz Running With Mesa On R600/700 GPUs

,----[ Quote ]
| Just about three weeks ago the AMD developers working on the open-source ATI
| drivers had reached the milestone in their open-source 3D support for the
| R600/700 GPUs of having glxgears running on these two latest generations of
| ATI graphics processors. glxgears running itself isn't much, but it's an
| important step. Last night, AMD's Alex Deucher is now reporting a new
| milestone and one that is certainly interesting for a large number of users,
| that is Compiz is running!
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzQyNg

Recent:

Mesa 7.5 Finally Released w/ New Features

,----[ Quote ]
| After being in development for a number of months and being challenged by a
| few delays, Mesa 7.5 was officially released last night. What's most
| significant about this milestone is that it's the first release to include
| the Gallium3D architecture. The Gallium3D drivers are still incomplete and
| there are many state trackers to be added, but this code for the
| next-generation Linux graphics card drivers is now living in mainline Mesa.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzM4OA

Gallium3D To Enter Mainline Mesa Code

,----[ Quote ]
| As we shared late last week, Mesa 7.3 is getting ready for release with the
| first release candidate having arrived. Mesa 7.3 will feature improved GLSL
| 1.20 support, support for the Graphics Execution Manager, and Direct
| Rendering Infrastructure 2 integration. The stabilized version of Mesa 7.3
| will then go to make Mesa 7.4.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Njk4OA

Mesa 7.3 Released, Gallium3D Landing Soon

,----[ Quote ]
| Four months after Mesa 7.2 was released, Mesa 7.3 has now officially
| surfaced. Mesa 7.3 has been in testing since earlier this month with it
| having gone through three release candidates. The new features found in this
| latest version of the standard Open-Source OpenGL stack is proper support for
| GLSL 1.20 and the Intel DRI driver now supports the Graphics Execution
| Manager and Direct Rendering Infrastructure 2.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=mesa_73&num=1

Mesa 7.3 Gets Primed With GLSL 1.20, GEM, DRI2

,----[ Quote ]
| It's been over four months since Mesa 7.1 was released and about three months
| since Mesa 7.2 (the stabilized version of 7.1), but now Mesa 7.3 is getting
| primed and ready to enter the limelight. As the first step, Mesa 7.3 Release
| Candidate 1 will be pushed out shortly.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Njk3OQ

Mesa 7.2 Has Been Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Following last month's release of Mesa 7.1, Tungsten Graphics began working
| on Mesa 7.2, which is a stabilized version of this OpenGL implementation that
| had picked up 3D support for the ATI Radeon R500 and Intel GMA 4-Series. Mesa
| 7.1 also marked the switch to an autoconf build system,
| GL_EXT_texture_from_pixmap extension for Xlib driver, GLSL support for the
| Intel 965, and various other improvements.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjczNg

Mesa 7.2 Release Candidate 1

,----[ Quote ]
| Released in late August was Mesa 7.1, which was the first release of this
| open-source OpenGL library with an autoconf-based configuration system,
| various DRI driver enhancements, GL_EXT_texture_from_pixmap extension for the
| Xlib driver, GLSL for Intel's 965 Chipset, and ATI R500 series support. This
| release was also important since it was a prerequisite for the X.Org 7.4 / X
| Server 1.5.0 release. Out this weekend though is Mesa 7.2 Release Candidate
| 1.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjcyMQ

Mesa 7.1 Released, X.Org 7.4 Coming!

,----[ Quote ]
| Tungsten's Brian Paul has today announced the release of Mesa 7.1. New in
| this open-source library used by Linux graphics drivers for providing OpenGL
| support is autoconf-based configuration, assorted DRI driver enhancements,
| reduced dependencies between the X server and Mesa,
| GL_EXT_texture_from_pixmap extension for Xlib driver, GLSL (GL Shading
| Language) support for the Intel 965, and ATI Radeon R500 (X1000) series
| support. Sorry folks, no OpenGL 3.0 support.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjY3Nw

Related:

Mesa 7.0 released

,----[ Quote ]
| This release is quite important for me since I really would like to play
| Secret Mayro, but that requires OpenGL 1.4 at least to work properly.
| Also, the free drivers now finally reach the proprietary drivers in
| terms of OpenGL support since the proprietary Linux drivers from AMD
| and Nvidia feature OpenGL 2.0 support for quite some time.
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/06/27/mesa-70-released/

Short Overview: Current State of Mesa and OpenGL on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/05/29/short-overview-current-state-of-mesa-and-opengl-on-linux/