Re: [News] An Explanation of Free Software Economics

Hadron wrote:
Goblin <bytes4free@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Hadron wrote:
Goblin <bytes4free@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Hadron wrote:
Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

An Explanation of the Economic of Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| When I was in University, not long after discovering a thing called "Linux"
| and all the wonderful free software that came with it, I fell in love with
| Open Source. The ethics of openness and meritocracy really appealed to me. It
| just seemed to me to be the "right" way of doing things.
|
| However it was a source of some good humoured tension between myself and my
| colleagues, circa Red Hat 6.0. Reaction against the idea of open source
| basically ranged from "anything given away for free can't be any good",
| to "very idealistic but it has no future since there is no way to make a
| living off of 'free'".
`----

http://climbing-the-hill.blogspot.com/2009/08/explanation-of-economic-of-open-source.html
Who paid for his University course?
Who paid for yours?
The Government. I got an LEA grant. I then paid it back in taxes. Why?

I ask for the same reason you ask the question of Roy.

I didn't ask about Roy's though. I asked about this guy that thinks
people shouldn't charge for their work. Note how he says "free" and not
"Free".

To be fair, I wasnt particularly paying attention. I was simply being flippant in the hope I could waste some of your time like you do so many people here.

Hadron, whatever your purpose here, just like your namesake the LHC you don't quite do your job properly....whatever that "job" is supposed to be.

--
Goblin
"I refute the claim I am one of the Linux unwashed, I take a shower once a year whether I need it or not."

Visit the blog of Goblin (Openbytes)
http://www.openbytes.wordpress.com
"Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui."

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/_Goblin

Or catch me on: #boycottnovell #linuxoutlaws on Freenode.net!