Re: GNU/Linux and Free Software coverage in print magazines

Homer wrote:
Having had another look around the magazine shelves in WH Smith today,
it seems it's not only vast sums of cash that Microsoft are losing ...
they're losing mind-share at a considerable rate too.

In addition to what I observed a few days ago:

http://www.wired.co.uk/wired-magazine/archive/2009/08/features/the-unstoppable-google.aspx
http://www.computeractive.co.uk/magazine/ (scroll down a bit)

I found the following:

1. PC Utilites magazine:

. Full GNU/Linux distro: Mythbuntu, included on DVD, and reviewed
. Editorial on Google Chrome OS
. "50 Red Hot Firefox Add-ons"

http://www.magnesiummedia.com/moremags/magdetails254.html

2. PC Tools magazine:

. Full GNU/Linux distro: Ubuntu 9.04, included on DVD, and reviewed

http://www.magnesiummedia.com/moremags/magdetails256.html

3. Computer Shopper (UK) magazine:

. Hands On: Linux Expert (section)
. Acer announces Android netbook (news section)

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/html/Latest_Issue-shopper.html

4. PC Pro magazine:

. Real World Computing: Open Source (section)

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/html/Latest_Issue-pcpro.html

There were only two other "PC" magazines on that shelf, and they had no
mention of GNU/Linux. One of them didn't have much mention of /any/
software, since it's a magazine dedicated to self-building and modifying
PC hardware: Custom PC magazine. The other was PC Format, the Future
Publishing sister magazine of Linux Format.

There were four other stacks of computing magazines on that shelf:

. Linux Magazine
. Linux User & Developer
. Linux Format
. Ubuntu User

And hiding at the back of a stack of PlayStation magazines, was a single
copy of MacFormat. I didn't bother reading it.

There used to be one other magazine regularly featured on that shelf,
called Vista magazine. I haven't seen it in months, regardless of what
time of what day I go into that shop. I don't know if this means it's
ceased publishing, or if WH Smith has simply given up trying to sell it.

Overall, the biggest news coverage in most of the Windows-oriented PC
magazines was the announcement of Google's Chrome OS, with little more
than a passing mention of Windows 7 - mostly in box-outs in the news
sections, regarding possible release dates, and its extortionate price.
Additionally, Linux Format mentioned Windows 7, in a head-to-head review
that noted:

"Fedora 11 running Gnome uses much less RAM than Windows 7"

And concluded:

"There's nothing in Windows 7 that Linux can't do, and in most cases, do
it better. Our machines are quicker and more efficient. Our desktops are
more innovative and less static. Our apps are more powerful, cheaper and
less partisan, and Linux security has never been better. But best of all
we have complete control over the future of Linux."

~ Graham Morrison, Linux Format Magazine.

[quote]
The magazines are chock to the brim with Windows 7 articles.

Linux?

All but forgotten, once again.
[/quote]

~ Moshe Goldfarb

Contrary to being "forgotten", GNU/Linux coverage seems to be increasing
at an accelerated rate.

Hi!

I made similar comments a week or so ago when, for the first time in about a year I too went into WHSmiths...It was coincidental that at the time one of the trolls was trying to convince people that Linux was not mentioned in the press.

For those non UK'rs, WHSmiths is one of the biggest newsagent chains in the country (if not the biggest) and in the computing section it appears there is a Linux majority in the off the shelf press.

--
Goblin
"I refute the claim I am one of the Linux unwashed, I take a shower once a year whether I need it or not."

Visit the blog of Goblin (Openbytes)
http://www.openbytes.wordpress.com
"Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui."

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/_Goblin

Or catch me on: #boycottnovell #linuxoutlaws on Freenode.net!