[News] Free Software Tracks Earthquakes, Blood Sugar

Open Source Tools Help Earthquake Researchers Stay a Step Ahead

,----[ Quote ]
| As news that a series of powerful earthquakes were shaking the coast of
| Mexico in Baja, Calfornia, no doubt researchers all across the globe were
| keeping a watchful eye on the data as it rolled in. Many geological research
| facilities around the world use or are in the process of developing open
| source software and applications designed to interpret and share information
| with other researchers. Let's take a look at some examples.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/open-source-tools-help-earthquake-researchers-stay-a-step-ahead

Open Source Device Aims to Help Diabetics Monitor Blood Sugar

,----[ Quote ]
| Peter Semmelhack, founder and CEO of Bug Labs and self-proclaimed "inveterate
| tinkerer" is developing an open source device to alert diabetics when their
| blood sugar falls dangerously low, particularly while sleeping. Though still
| in its early stages, Semmelhack has already run a couple of preliminary
| experiments that indicate his personal project shows a lot of promise for
| helping diabetics manage their blood sugar and insulin levels.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/open-source-device-aims-to-help-diabetics-monitor-blood-sugar

Recent:

Bug Labs creates open source Lego for software engineers

,----[ Quote ]
| Most of the new breed of open source hardware centers on specific products.
| Bug Labs is taking a different approach. Instead of developing particular
| devices, Bug Labs' goal is to provide a Lego-like collection of open source
| hardware and software that customers can use to build their own devices.
| According to CEO Peter Semmelhack, the result should be not only a higher
| degree of innovation, but also a forerunner of the hardware business of the
| future.
|
| [...]
|
| "The mission for us," Semmelhack says, "is to create a platform that allows
| anyone to build any project they want by snapping it together like Lego. And
| to have the gadget be reliable, robust, and not too ugly or clunky-looking,
| and to make it easy to innovate in electronics in a way that hasn't been
| possible before." Software engineering expertise is still required to make
| use of Bug Labs' products -- specifically, expertise in GNU/Linux and Java --
| but Semmelhack's plans are to remove as many of the hardware-specific
| barriers as possible.
| The new Lego
|
| The Bug Labs product line centers on the Bugbase, which consists of a CPU,
| RAM, a battery, and USB hubs and other connectors for adding modules. It runs
| a GNU/Linux distribution built around Openembedded. The largest modifications
| that the company has had to make to the Bugbase are device drivers, and
| improvements to make all of the modules hot-swappable.
|
| The code for all these improvements, Semmelhack stresses, has been
| released. "We consider ourselves an active part of the Linux community -- and
| not just a taker, but a contributor. We chose Linux because everything we do
| is open source, software and hardware. Openness is very important for
| innovation."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/152079

Hardware Mash-ups and Bug Lab's Bug

,----[ Quote ]
| That sense of joyful wonder, playful construction and even sense of danger
| was resurrected both literally and metaphorically when I began exploring the
| learning potential of Bug Labs' BUG -- an open embedded Linux-based
| combination of a BUGbase and four BUGmodules.
`----

http://www.ddj.com/linux-open-source/210201098

Open-Source Gadget Maker Bug Labs Closes Third Funding Round

,----[ Quote ]
| NYC-based Bug Labs, which makes open-source mobile devices, has raised a
| third round of funding. Leading the round: Court Square Ventures. Existing
| investors Union Square Ventures and Spark Capital also participated. No
| financial terms disclosed, but Bug says it'll use the money to expand its
| marketing efforts, hire people, etc.
`----

http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/8/open-source-gadget-maker-bug-labs-closes-third-funding-round

Bug Labs: Itâs about open-sourcing hardware

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/tech-news/?p=1415