[News] Free Software Programming Analysed, Sony Gives Code (Under BSD Licence)

Coding and the Meaning of Life

,----[ Quote ]
| FOSS coders are a strange breed. Many devote years of their lives and
| unquantifiable amounts of their passion to a job that may return nothing in
| the way of concrete rewards. It can, in fact, be thankless -- FOSS coders may
| get ridicule and criticism instead of riches. Why do they do it? "[Humans]
| need a purpose in life," says blogger Robert Pogson, "and for some, that
| purpose includes coding."
|
| [...]
|
| FLOSS projects "will always have collisions of egos/goals/viewpoints, and we
| should expect people who are motivated to disagree," Pogson added. "This does
| not break FLOSS or hold it back. It is a meritocracy, with survival of the
| fittest ideas and idealists."
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Coding-and-the-Meaning-of-Life-67752.html?wlc=1249402335

Sony open sources digital effects software

,----[ Quote ]
| The new effort includes a Web site aimed at keeping open source developers up
| to date on the projects. All five of the tools are licensed under the new BSD
| license, and are hosted on Google Code.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62056626,00.htm?scid=rss_z_nw

Recent:

Why Code For Free? Yet More Linux/FOSS Devs Speak! (part 3)

,----[ Quote ]
| My usual experience is: for the vast majority of people, do it by finding the
| right company to work for. A lot of companies, from giant to tiny, use and
| work with free software.
|
| They are often happy for you to continue to work with the upstream community
| as part of your job, which can mean anything from "submit the occasional
| patch" through to "run the entire OSS project, on their infrastructure."
|
| As an example, my present employer uses Perl, and other OSS, heavily, and we
| regularly work back. Several of our staff are committers on the OSS projects
| we base our work on, and address bugs on the companies time (and dime).
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6808/1/

An interview with RVM, developer of Smplayer

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.tech-no-media.com/2009/07/interview-with-rvm-developper-of.html