[News] Next Ubuntu GNU/Linux Called "Perhaps the Most Important Release"

Ubuntu's Karmic Koala: What to expect

,----[ Quote ]
| Scheduled for release in October, Ubuntu 9.10 is perhaps the most important
| release to date for the community-driven Linux project.

Microsoft will make Vista 7 noise to steal the thunder when it's released.

Why I Use Ubuntu Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Thank goodness Linux came along to keep Unix going. Otherwise we might all be
| running commercial operating systems today.
| But technical merit is not the sole criterion. Were that the case we would
| all be runing Linux. We need to unite and not keep shooting ourselves in the
| foot. This, for example, is why I cringe every time I hear the
| phrase âGNU/Linuxâ â

Ubuntu 9.10 Off To A Great Performance Start

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow, while there may not be many end-user improvements in Ubuntu 9.10 yet and
| the desktop looks just like that of Ubuntu 9.04, there does seem to be some
| performance improvements. Besides the huge SQLite improvement that did not
| come as a surprise, there are better compilation times with GCC 4.4, much
| better disk performance with the newer Linux kernel, and other improvements
| throughout. One area that still needs to be improved upon is with the Intel
| Linux graphics performance after going through radical changes with kernel
| mode-setting, DRI2, and the Graphics Execution Manager.

Karmic Alpha 1 released

,----[ Quote ]
| Welcome to Karmic Koala Alpha 1, which will in time become Ubuntu 9.10.
| Pre-releases of Karmic are *not* encouraged for anyone needing a stable
| system or anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional, even
| frequent breakage. They are, however, recommended for Ubuntu developers and
| those who want to help in testing, reporting, and fixing bugs.

Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 1 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| The system is fast as usual, with no major problems at the moment, except for
| the fact that the video drivers don't work, yet. As always, we did not expect
| something exciting from the first, and not even from the next two or three
| alpha versions of Ubuntu. Probably starting with the fifth or sixth alpha we
| will see some big changes, like that professional theme everyone is still
| waiting for, and which Mark Shuttleworth promised us.

[Kubuntu] First Karmic Alpha Available

,----[ Quote ]
| The first alpha CD for our next release is now available. This is at a very
| early stage of development so is advised for brave testers only. See the
| overview from Ubuntu, the announcement or just go straight to the CD
| download.

Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 1 freeze ahead

,----[ Quote ]
| The first alpha release of Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala is targeted for next
| Thursday, May 14.

More Karmic plans

,----[ Quote ]
| The Jaunty development cycle was a hectic, pulsating (no pun intended) ride,
| and Karmic's looks to be just as vigourous! Here are my objectives for 9.10:
| Audio:
| Â Â Enable power-saving by default for HDA controllers - after fifteen
| Â Â seconds, power down the HDA controller to squeeze some juice for those
| Â Â transpacific flights. I'll be calling for testers shortly, but I'm most
| Â Â interested in resolving anomalies after the controller powers back up.

Canonical Engaging Ubuntu Software Partners

,----[ Quote ]
| Details are still sketchy. But sources tell me Canonical is adjusting some
| internal employee roles. The result will be a stronger, more immediate
| emphasis on ISV relations, especially as Canonical prepares to launch Ubuntu
| 9.10.

Ubuntu 9.10 development begins

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu 9.10 is expected to focus on server functions related to cloud
| computing, energy conservation, shorter start up times and a revised login
| screen. Better hardware support for the growing number of netbooks is also
| planned. Following the final release of Ubuntu 9.10, a Developer Summit is
| scheduled for the 19th of November.

Ubuntu Karmic development kicks off

Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) Release Schedule

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu team is already planning for 9.10, which will see the light of day in
| October 2009. The desktop side will focus on beautification and an improved
| boot-up experience; the server side will target cloud computing.

Will Your Next Wireless Router Run Ubuntu?

,----[ Quote ]
| Granted, only experienced Linux geeks are likely to be able to enjoy master
| mode for the time being, since putting it into action requires intimate
| familiarity with the âiwconfigâ command, the âhostapâ utility and most likely
| dhcp servers, not to mention bridging network interfaces together.
| Nonetheless, the day has at least become conceivable when setting up an
| Ubuntu computer as a wireless router is as easy to clicking a button in
| NetworkManager, allowing even the most technologically inept Linux users to
| create local wireless networks effortlesslyâand not just ad-hoc networks like
| those supported by âInternet Connection Sharingâ in Windows, but true access
| point-based networks.

Ubuntu 9.10 sees the cloud above the trees

,----[ Quote ]
| Next month Ubuntu 9.04, Jaunty Jackelope, hits an FTP or torrent site near
| you. With its feature set pretty much frozen the masterminds at Canonical are
| looking to the future with Ubuntu 9.10 â Karmic Koala, I kid you not â being
| touted as cloud-centric.
| [...]
| As to naysayers, well, hey, itâs not just a koala â itâs also karmic. That
| means Windows no more; this time Ubuntu isnât just personal, itâs fate.

Ubuntu 9.10 Release Schedule Is Now Available

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu 9.04 will not even be out for another month and a half, but Ubuntu
| enthusiasts can already start getting excited for its successor, Ubuntu 9.10.
| Ubuntu 9.10 has been codenamed the Karmic Koala and this release from
| Canonical will integrate Plymouth to provide a rich kernel mode-setting
| experience, feature performance improvements, and contain enhancements for
| Ubuntu cloud computing. In time for Ubuntu 9.10 we may even see some
| Gallium3D drivers and the latest innovations in the Linux stack as of the
| Linux 2.6.31 kernel or thereabouts.

Ubuntu 9.10 Release Schedule

Introducing the Karmic Koala, our mascot for Ubuntu 9.10

,----[ Quote ]
| Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce the *Karmic Koala*, the newest
| member of our alliterative menagerie.
| When you are looking for inspiration beyond the looming Jaunty feature
| freeze, I hope you'll think of the Koala, our official mascot for Ubuntu
| 9.10. And if you'll bear with me for a minute I'll set the scene for what we
| hope to achieve in that time.

Ubuntu 9.10 is named Karmic Koala, will eat tasty eucalyptus

,----[ Quote ]