[News] More Intellectual Monopolies Fail(R)

Famed Choreographer Dies... Intellectual Property Lawyers Take Over?

,----[ Quote ]
| While it gets some of the facts wrong (claiming that copyright exists to
| protect an artist's income, rather than the truth: it exists to create an
| incentive to create), it at least tries to balance some of the questions,
| discussing things like Creative Commons and the public domain.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090730/0148035707.shtml

Wall Street Bull Artist Sues Author Of Lehman Brothers Book

,----[ Quote ]
| Our cautious skepticism about intellectual property laws, particularly when
| applied to the arts rather than technology, was confirmed this morning.
|
| The guy who made the iconic Wall Street bull is suing the publisher and
| authors of a new book about the collapse of Lehman Brothers because they put
| a picture of the bull on the cover.
|
| That's right. There's a guy out there who thinks he owns the rights to images
| of 7,000-pound sculpture that has been sitting in the financial district for
| 20 years. Whatever your opinions about the need for copyright and trademark
| rules to encourage innovation and reward creativity, it's really hard to see
| how this makes any sense at all.
`----

http://www.businessinsider.com/wall-street-bull-artist-sues-author-of-lehman-brothers-book-2009-7

Student Arrested for Jailbreaking Game Consoles â Update

,----[ Quote ]
| Crippen, in a telephone interview with Threat Level, said the purpose of the
| jailbreaking was not for illegal piracy, but to allow patrons to use
| decrypted copies of their own DRM-laden gaming software. The DMCA, however,
| is not on his side, especially because he is accused of profiting from his
| hacks.
`----

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/08/game-console-jailbreaking-arrest/

AP should serve industry interests by shifting from content focus to business
solutions

,----[ Quote ]
| APâs service costs as much (for a newspaper the size of The Gazette) as the
| salaries and benefits of several staff members who could provide unique local
| content not available elsewhere. Itâs questionable whether the content AP
| provides is going to maintain that value much longer. If AP focuses on the
| content role, no amount of copyright protection will keep that role from
| deteriorating in value.
`----

http://stevebuttry.wordpress.com/2009/07/31/ap-should-serve-industry-interests-by-shifting-from-content-focus-to-business-solutions/

Yesterday:

Mermaid Freed

,----[ Quote ]
| Apparently the controversy was more than the estate of Edvard Eriksen
| anticipated after asking the city of Greenville $3,800 for having a replica
| of Copenhagen's "Little Mermaid" statue in their Tower Riverside Park.
|
| "I received a letter this week from the Artists Right Society (ARS) saying
| that 'the estate of the sculptor Edvard Eriksen has decided to withdraw all
| of its claims thereto,'" said Greenville City Manager George Bosanic.
`----

http://www.thedailynews.cc/Main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=11&ArticleID=29001

Harvard trademarking everyday phrases

,----[ Quote ]
| Harvard University's moves to seek U.S. trademarks for everyday phrases such
| as "Ask what you can do" are defensive measures, a school official says.
|
| The university has poured a lot of money into basing its promotional and
| advertising campaigns on such phrases as "Ask what you can do," which was
| famously uttered by President John F. Kennedy in his 1960 inaugural speech,
| as well as "Lessons learned" and "Managing yourself," The Boston Globe
| reported Saturday.
`----

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2009/08/01/Harvard-trademarking-everyday-phrases/UPI-95821249156013/

The AP and DRM; nothing to see here folks, move along

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/newsletters/web/2009/080309web1.html?hpg1=bn