Re: [News] Benchmark: Vista 7 is Fat, GNU/Linux is Light

____/ Megabyte on Friday 07 August 2009 03:48 : \____

http://www.dailytech.com/Windows+7+RTM+Gets+Benchmarked+Results+Are+Mixed/article15892.htm
>>> Since the "headline" and your "conclusion" are so far apart, Roy, you
>>> need to elaborate!
>>
>> This shows that Vista 7 (in RTM) is still obese. GNU/Linux does not have
>> this problem and a similar benchmark from last month showed Ubuntu in the
>> lead (among all tested systems).
>>

>  From my own experience I can confirm that Linux does perform a bit
> better but performance of Windows 7 is quite acceptable unlike Vista
> prior to the SPs.
>
> The focus on performance also fails to focus on a major issue which is
> the apps that run natively on the platform such as Outlook 2007 combined
> with Exchange 2007, OneNote, iTunes, Zinio, etc.  When you can't use the
> programs that you want to use a slight increase in performance of the OS
> is irrelevant.  Not a single Linux Distro I have used makes use of a
> fingerprint reader like Windows does.  The Tablet PC and inking
> experience is also unmatched.  Setting up a Media Center in Windows is
> simple in comparison to Linux.  All of these things end up being more
> important than a slight increase in OS performance.

Which Media Centre did you try? Name it. Maybe there's a simpler way you've
overlooked.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

The Internet is totally out of control, impossible to map accurately, and
being used far beyond its original intentions. So far, so good.
- -- Dr. Dobb's Journal May 1993
http://Schestowitz.com  | Mandriva Linux |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
 08:00:01 up 20 days, 10:19,  2 users,  load average: 1.83, 1.57, 1.06