[News] [Rival] Windows Zombies Take Facebook, Gawker, and Twitter Offline

Hackers hit Twitter and Facebook

,----[ Quote ]
| Denial-of-service (DOS) attacks take various forms but often involve a
| company's servers being flooded with data in an effort to disable them.

Dastardly DDoSers down Gawker

,----[ Quote ]
| New York-based media news and gossip blog network Gawker is recovering from a
| debilitating denial of service attack.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/06/gawker_ddos/

Researcher: Twitter attack targeted anti-Russian blogger

,----[ Quote ]
| As Twitter struggled to return to normal Wednesday evening, a trickle of
| details suggested that the outage that left 30 million users unable to use
| the micro-blogging service for several hours - at least in part - may have
| been the result of a spam campaign that targeted a single user who vocally
| supports the Republic of Georgia.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/07/twitter_attack_theory/

How Twitter was killed

,----[ Quote ]
| DDoS attacks are hard to beat. While some Twitter fans are claiming that this
| is the biggest DDoS attack ever, I'm inclined to doubt it. Twitter, even
| though its performance has gotten much better, has often teetered on the edge
| of collapse due to the enormous load its users put on its social network
| infrastructure. No, the DDoS attack on Google earlier this year was probably
| still the worst attack on record.
|
| How is this happening? Well, let me tell you. Today's DDoS attacks are made
| by Windows-powered botnets. They're not terribly sophisticated about these
| attacks. The last major one, which may or may not have come from North Korea,
| was driven by MyDoom, Windows malware from 2004.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/14504/how_twitter_was_killed

Related:

Bots rule in cyberspace