[News] [Rival] Analysis of Novell's Patent Dance with Microsoft

Novell and Microsoft talk business

,----[ Quote ]
| In Which a Bit of That Good Old-Fashioned FUD is Spread around
|
| Hereâs a slide where the gentleman from Novell talked up the 3 pillars of
| value that the Novell-Microsoft collaboration delivers:
|
| "Intellectual Property"
|
| Thereâs that good old âpeace of mindâ codeword that Microsoft and Novell love
| so much to throw around. How does one reconcile Novellâs statement that
| the âagreement with Microsoft is in no way an acknowledgment that Linux
| infringes upon any Microsoft intellectual propertyâ with the constant
| marketing that only Novell can offer âIP peace of mindâ and the bullet point
| that âMicrosoft and Novellâ provide âpatent coverageâ?
|
| A little fancy dancing, perhaps?
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2009/08/novell-and-microsoft-talk-business/

Novell gets more software patents:

Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| Methods, data stores, data structures and systems for electronic identity
| aggregation , patent No. 7,571,172, invented by Scott Alan Isaacson of
| Woodland Hills, Stephen R Carter of Spanish Fork and Frank Allan Nutt of
| Austin, Texas, assigned to Novell Inc. of Provo.
`----

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_12996194

Mono advocate offers Mono-free Ubuntu remix

,----[ Quote ]
| It is not certain that future Ubuntu versions will be dissected in this
| manner, though; in response to a query which followed his post, he said that
| it all depended on whether a community built up around it as he did not have
| the time to keep creating the CLR for every new Ubuntu version.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/26797/1231/

Recent:

Is the âMono warâ unproductive?

,----[ Quote ]
| Anytime someone squeezes out a discredited pro-Mono argument, anyone who has
| bothered to read this blog knows that person is ignorant. Anytime someone
| tries to pretend that every single Mono critic is a frothing-at-mouth
| irrational zealot, anyone who has bothered to read this blog knows that
| person is ignorant. And so on. So Iâm thinking that Iâm meeting my goals and
| being productive just fine, thankyouverymuch.
|
| Itâs easy to make the other side look like a failure if you redefine thier
| goal, methods and motivations.
`----

http://mono-nono.com/2009/08/04/is-the-mono-war-unproductive/

Pro-mono Zealotry