[News] [Rival] OOXML Dishonesty and Distrust Increased, Apple an Accomplice, ISO a Puppet

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] OOXML Dishonesty and Distrust Increased, Apple an Accomplice, ISO a Puppet
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 00:34:00 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

XML Patent for Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The core of US Patent 7,571,169 which Microsoft was granted on August 4th
| refers to â "A word-processing document stored in a single XML file that may
| be manipulated by applications that understand XML".
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/143202/from/rss09

New Wordprocessing Patent

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-174344/new-wordprocessing-patent

Microsoft secures web Office XML patent

,----[ Quote ]
| OOXML is covered by Microsoft's Open Specification Promise, under which
| Microsoft promised not prosecute those using, selling, or distributing its
| implementation of a technology or specification.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/07/microsoft_word_patent/

Open XML is a foul apple

,----[ Quote ]
| Imagine that, Apple supported Microsoft's Open XML standardisation. Last
| weekâs Microsoft Office 2008 Service Pack 2 (SP2) release wasn't so great for
| Mac Office users, a giant fail. You know, when you have a multibillion office
| applications business who would dare to test for crossplattform compatibility
| of file formats before you release the service pack? No one does, and Apple
| users of the Mac Office were absolutely outraged about Open XML.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-174351/open-xml-is-a-foul-apple

ISO will meet in Redmond, dinner paid by Microsoft

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-174347/iso-will-meet-in-redmond-dinner-paid-by-microsoft

Recent:

800 pages of defect for OOXML, here it is

,----[ Quote ]
| 800 pages of defect for OOXML, here it is. ISO is such a transparent
| organisation that they are afraid of the web, and the public light of the
| blogosphere. Here is the leak for you.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-174349/800-pages-of-defect-for-ooxml-here-it-is

Microsoft, OOXML and the ISO

,----[ Quote ]
| Taken individually, these dubious actions might be dismissed by Microsoft
| as âminor lapsesâ, âmisunderstandingsâ or actions of an atypical ârogueâ
| manager â as was done in Sweden, where an offer was made to support partners
| financially if they attended the key meeting of the national body and voted
| in favour of OOXML. But taken together they suggest a consistent philosophy
| of being prepared to use whatever means necessary in order to gain the
| required number of votes.
|
| Since there are very few laws relevant to this field, I doubt whether
| Microsoft has broken any with its actions during the ISO standardisation
| process, either through those already disclosed, or others that may come come
| to light (although the European Commission may have its own views on this).
| But as well as the letter of the law, the spirit matters too, and I would be
| interested to hear to what extent, against a background of skewed committees,
| misrepresentations and overt pressure, Microsoft thinks it adhered to the
| spirit of the collegial, consensus-based standards-making process in finally
| obtaining that much-coveted âwinâ for OOXML.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/microsoft-ooxml-and-iso

Related: