[News] MAFIAA Deal with Eircom is Leaked

Leaked Document Reveals Eircom Deal With Irish RIAA

,----[ Quote ]
| This month Irelandâs largest ISP will assist with an anti-piracy campaign
| against its own customers. After making a deal with IRMA, Irelandâs answer to
| the RIAA, Eircom will first warn alleged copyright infringers before
| ultimately disconnecting them. Now, in what appears to be a leaked document,
| the entire groundbreaking deal is outlined.

Music industry's Irish ISP shakedown letter leaked

,----[ Quote ]
| An internet hosting company has published a copy of the nasty-gram Ireland's
| music industry lawyers bulk-mailed to that country's internet service
| providers, demanding they begin blocking access to any website accused of
| piracy or else.

Eircom to block Pirate Bay

,----[ Quote ]
| In a letter sent to ISPs across the country last week, the Irish Recorded
| Music Association (IRMA) disclosed the deal and warned others to follow suit
| or face legal action.

Elderly woman prohibiting from photographing empty swimming pool "to prevent

,----[ Quote ]
| An 82-year-old woman in Southampton, UK was told she couldn't take photos of
| an empty wading pool because she might be a paedophile. Because, you know,
| anything that children touch regularly becomes part of their souls, and if a
| paedophile looks at those objects, it's just like sexually assaulting a
| child.

Irish ISP Eircom in 'three strike' filesharer crackdown

,----[ Quote ]
| Eircom had argued it was under no obligation to monitor the content of
| traffic over its network.
| The music labels originally wanted the court to order Eircom to install
| software from a US firm to detect copyrighted music files sent over its
| network. The ISP objected, saying the software could breach its customer's
| privacy.
| Instead, Eircom settled for the increasingly-familiar
| three-strikes "graduated response" program. The first time a subscriber's IP
| is detected infringing copyright, a warning is sent out. The second time, the
| subscriber is cautioned that they will be disconnected. Number three is the
| big disconnect.

ISP Capitulates to IFPI, Agrees to Disconnect Pirates

,----[ Quote ]
| Up until today, the âBig Fourâ record labels were taking legal action against
| Irelandâs biggest ISP, Eircom, in order to force it to employ filtering
| technology to stop online pirates. The case has been aborted as Eircom, at
| the behest of the music industry, has agreed to start disconnecting those
| accused of illicit file-sharing.

ISPs Ready to Assist the RIAA?

,----[ Quote ]
| There's also the question of what kind of impact these actions will have on
| AT&T and Comcast. If they are the only ISPs sticking their necks out, then
| they may see their customer base flock to other providers who won't work with
| the RIAA.

RIAA Sued For Racketeering Yet Again

,----[ Quote ]
| A few people have filed lawsuits against the RIAA for racketeering in the
| past, though these charges have always been dismissed. In one such case,
| where the filed charges were dismissed over the summer, new claims were filed
| again charging the RIAA with racketeering for extortion, mail fraud and wire
| fraud in its ongoing efforts involving weakly supported threats against
| alleged file sharers demanding money to avoid being sued.

750,000 lost jobs? The dodgy digits behind the war on piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| First, the estimate of 750,000 jobs lost. (Is that supposed to be per year? A
| cumulative total over some undefined span? Those who cite the figure seldom
| say.) Customs is most often given as the source for this, and indeed, you can
| find press releases from as recently as 2002 giving that figure as a U.S.
| Customs and Border Patrol estimate. Eureka! But when we contacted CBP to
| determine how they had arrived at that imposing figure, we were informed that
| it was, in essence, a goof. The figure, Customs assured us, came from
| somewhere else, and was mistakenly described as the agency's own. This should
| come as no great surprise: CBP is an enforcement agency, whereas calculating
| the total loss of jobs from IP infringement would require some terrifyingly
| complex counterfactual modeling by trained economists. Similar claims have
| appeared in Customs releases dating back at least to 1993, but a CBP
| spokesperson assured us that the agency has never been in the business of
| developing such estimates in-house.

Harvard professor challenges RIAA anti-piracy campaign

,----[ Quote ]