[News] [Rival] It's No Longer Easy for Microsoft to Compete with GNU/Linux

"It's easier for our software to compete with Linux when there's piracy than
when there's not."

                                --Bill Gates

Taking A Slingshot To Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The owner of a small computer repair shop in Torrington has been going
| toe-to-toe with Microsoft after the software giant accused Johnson last year
| of selling pirated software and infringing on the companyâs copyrights and
| trademarks.
|
| [...]
|
| According to court filings, he sold the software to Patricia Ubran, a
| Microsoft investigator who specifically asked him to buy a copy of Office
| 2003 from e-Bay and install it on two computers for her because Office 2007
| was too expensive.
`----

http://www.ctlawtribune.com/getarticle.aspx?ID=34540

Recent:

Microsoft admits the obvious but not the truth

,----[ Quote ]
| By contrast Linux is modular. A Linux client, whether a netbook or an Android
| phone, needs to run only those modules necessary to the function it is
| performing at that moment. Over time open source is just cheaper to support.
| And by linking clients to the cloud you centralize that support load, even
| monetize it.
|
| So you have competitors who can live on less food than you need, hardware
| evolving toward forms that must find a lower-cost form of support, and a
| possible breakthrough in business models that you canât seem to touch.
|
| The truth is that Microsoft Windows, and Microsoft itself, have become
| dinosaurs in a mammalian world. To compete Microsoft must evolve.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=4604

Microsoft Admits That Linux Desktop Elephant Exists

,----[ Quote ]
| It's no secret that Linux has had a major impact on Microsoft's server
| business, but Microsoft hasn't said much about the potential effects of
| desktop Linux. That changed recently when Microsoft admitted that Linux on
| desktops and notebooks poses competitive threats to its Windows client
| business.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/219100164;jsessionid=HPDZGBQ0ZEVM3QE1GHRSKHWATMY32JVN

Open source alternatives invade Microsoft's competitor list

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/080509-microsoft-open-source.html

Microsoft acknowledges competition from Canonical and Red Hat

http://www.h-online.com/open/Microsoft-acknowledges-competition-from-Canonical-and-Red-Hat--/news/113935

Microsoft Hit by Open Source and Lawmakers

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Online/News/Microsoft-Hit-by-Open-Source-and-Lawmakers