[News] GNU/Linux Augments Selection of Native Games

Bringing Windows games to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| LXF: After deciding to port a game to Linux, what's the next step for you at
| LGP?
|
| MS: Once we've made the agreement, we get hold of the source code and then we
| just do whatever we need to do for the port. Usually, ports are fairly
| similar.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Arch-Linux-2009-08-released--/news/113961

42 Hot Free Linux Games (Part 1 of 3)

,----[ Quote ]
| I will never forget my computer science teacher's belief that games are only
| an initial distraction to the world of computing for people interested in
| computers. He perceived that budding programmers could only be fixated on
| games for up to 6 months. After that, coders would start to use computers
| more productively, learning earnestly about the operating system and writing
| system and application software.
`----

http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/2009080809002578/Games.html

PainTown: Open-Source, 2D Fighting Game for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| PainTown is a 2D fighting game somewhat similar with popular titles like
| Street Fighter (it even allows you to play with a character called Blanka),
| with versions available for Linux too, besides Windows and Mac. The nice
| thing about PainTown is that it runs natively on Linux and it's a standalone
| game, so you won't need any emulator like NeoGeo to play it.
`----

http://tuxarena.blogspot.com/2009/08/paintown-open-source-2d-fighting-game.html

Cube 2: Sauerbraten - Awesome First-Person Shooter for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| As a game engine, Cube 2 surely is powerful enough to develop any kind of FPS
| game, and as a game, it definitely offers a great joy playing it. Except for
| the sounds which may become a little annoying after a few hours of playing,
| this game is excellent. The graphics are great and it performs pretty well on
| low-end PCs too, especially if settings are tweaked for optimum performance.
`----

http://tuxarena.blogspot.com/2009/08/first-person-shooter-games-for-linux-iv.html

Recent:

SuperGamer Live DVD

,----[ Quote ]
| A while back I took at a Linux distribution geared solely toward playing
| games called Live Linux Gaming. Well thereâs another remastered distribution
| for gamers called SuperGamer. SuperGamer is based on VectorLinux and requires
| a dual layer DVD. It weighs in at roughly 8GB so itâs a bit on the chunky
| side as a download. But, given the number of games it comes with (more on
| that below), you can understand why itâs such a large download. SuperGamer is
| based on the 2.6.27.24 kernel and can run on 32 or 64 bit computers.
|
| [...]
|
| SuperGamer is a great addition to the remastered distro collection of any
| intermediate or advanced Linux user. Itâs well worth a download even given
| itâs large file size. Linux gamers in particular should probably consider
| this a must-have given the level of convenience in having all of its games
| right at their fingertips in a Live CD.
`----

http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2009/08/03/supergamer-live-dvd/

Play Linux Games From A Live DVD