[News] GNU/Linux Desktop Claimed as Easy as Anything Else

Using Gnome desktop shortcuts and tips

,----[ Quote ]
| Many aspects of a modern Linux desktop are just as easy as to get to grips
| with as Windows Vista or Mac OSX, with some things possibly a bit easier.
`----

http://www.whatpc.co.uk/personal-computer-world/features/2247550/gnome-hints-tips

Recent:

Seven Reasons Why Beef Is Not Ready For The Dinner Table

,----[ Quote ]
| While I've been blogging less and reading more, I notice the
| Linux-on-the-desktop troll-war heating up again. So this was my latest take
| on it - because I've said everything else it is possible to say about it
| already. It demonstrates that you could go on and on with "why X isn't ready
| for Y", using the same pattern of half-truths, absolutes, hand-waves, and
| logical fallacies.
|
| Try it yourself! How about "Why Fords aren't ready for the highway", "Why
| Obama isn't ready for the presidency", or "Why the letter Q isn't ready for
| the alphabet"?
`----

http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?title=seven_reasons_why_beef_is_not_ready_for_&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Why Windows is not yet ready for the Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| I don't spend my time telling other people which OS should or shouldn't suit
| their way of working. But it seems there are people who do, and like to get
| blog hits for it.
|
| The problem with these "critiques" is always that the author is carrying
| around the self-serving assumption that their preferred OS embodies the only
| real way to organize a software ecosystem, and all others have inferior
| value. Moreover, since they are naturally only looking for a way to justify
| their existing pre-conclusion, they are often sadly misinformed about most of
| their "complaints", half of which are either entirely subjective, or just
| flat-out wrong.
`----

http://climbing-the-hill.blogspot.com/2009/06/why-windows-is-not-yet-ready-for.html

Why Linux is ready for the desktop today

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the years, the question âis Linux ready for the desktopâ has been raised
| time and time again, and countless articles have been written about the
| strengths and weaknesses of this operating system. While desktop Linux
| adoption has yet to go completely mainstream, recent indicators show that a
| major change is underfoot.
|
| Linux is primed to take the PC market by storm as more enterprises recognize
| the value proposition that Linux offers business - more flexibility,
| customization and affordable options. We're also seeing hardware
| manufacturers expanding their Linux offerings on a range of devices. The
| recent roll out of the new ProBook series of HP notebook devices available
| with a fully supported Linux operating system is one example and these
| options is only expected to grow.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-308528.html

Why Microsoft is just not ready for the enterprise.

,----[ Quote ]
| In my last post I had made some comments about the
| Microsoft Windows not being capable of enterprise high
| performance computing. In the comments (upon request) I had
| posted some details on the SCSI subsystem of the Operating
| System, talking of the scatter gather lists when sequential
| SCSI commands are being coalesced just prior to being sent
| to the SCSI-based media. I wanted to continue on that topic
| and focus specifically on the NTFS file system and why it
| too is not intended for enterprise class usage.
|
| [...]
|
| With these limitations well known, then why do we still try
| to deploy Microsoft Windows in environments it was not
| suited for? The answer is familiarity. Microsoft for the
| most part owns the client/end-user market and with that the
| end-user has gotten too familiar and too comfortable with
| its platform. In turn what was built for home (and to an
| extent small business) use has leaked into an environment
| where it is not ready for. Please understand that I am not
| trying to preach against Microsoft and attack them. As many
| others in the high performing server/storage industry I
| have come to understand where certain problems originate
| from and that includes the limitations of the Windows
| platform. If you, the reader, feel something different with
| Microsoft and their role in enterprise class computing
| please feel free to comment. I know that I may not always
| be correct in my viewpoints and if you can shed any
| additional light I would very grateful.
`----

http://blog.hydrasystemsllc.com/2008/12/31/why-microsoft-is-just-not-ready/

Windows Vista Ready?

,----[ Quote ]
| The majority of new members and guests
| are here because they want to install
| Windows XP on systems which came with
| Vista pre-installed. Others are dual
| booting with XP and Vista because they
| do not want to, or are unable to
| solely depend on Vista to do what they
| need their systems for.
`----

http://www.pro-networks.org/blog/index.php/vista/14

Related:

Windows rapidly approaching desktop usability

,----[ Quote ]
| Don't Lose This Product Key!
|
| Video blanking hassles
|
| Windows XP networking: Not for amateurs