[News] Mandriva Linux Derivative Pardus Linux 2009 Gets Wonderful Reviews

First look at Pardus Linux 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| While I had heard and read good things about Pardus for a few years now, I
| had never tried the distro until the 2009 release. I haven't been this
| enthusiastic about a new distro I've tried in quite some time. I didn't find
| any serious bugs which prevented me from working or which really got in my
| way at all. The implementation of KDE 4 is probably the best I've seen and
| represents the first time I've truly been comfortable working with the latest
| incarnation of KDE as my desktop environment. The implementation of Xfce is
| also first rate. Pardus also offers an excellent variety of unique graphical
| system administration tools that are intuitive and work as expected. Anything
| available in the GUI also has a command-line equivalent. In the case of PiSi,
| the Pardus package manager, the CLI edition also offers additional
| functionality.
|
| Pardus is generally very user-friendly. There are a few convenience features
| found in the major distributions, such as automated upgrade notification and
| automatic network interface switching, that are still lacking in Pardus.
| These aren't bugs but rather are missing niceties that I've gotten used to in
| other distros. The Pardus developers do encourage filing wish list items in
| their bug-tracking system and I may just have to add a few.
| Internationalization and localization is well done and is nearly, but not
| quite, complete for "unsupported" languages. It is very complete and
| functions flawlessly for officially supported languages. I found the forum,
| Wiki, and in general the English-language documentation for Pardus to be
| excellent. When I did post in the forum, I received a quick, friendly, and
| helpful response. That's all anyone can ask of the community behind any
| distribution.
|
| Pardus has a lot to recommend it and definitely rates a try for anyone who
| wants an excellent KDE 4 implementation. Pardus isn't perfect, but its flaws
| and shortcomings are relatively minor compared to many if not most other
| distributions I've tried, including recent releases of some of the big names
| in Linux. It's easy enough to install and use that I would certainly consider
| it a good candidate distribution for a new Linux user, yet it doesn't lack
| the features and, apart from the YALI installer, the flexibility an
| experienced user will desire. I am definitely impressed with Pardus 2009.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090810#feature

Review: Pardus 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall though, I'm highly impressed with the new Pardus.  It's fast, sleek,
| stable, and just a good all around new user distro.  It's also a nice
| improvement on its predecessor.  But even with all this greatness, there's
| still a few flies in the ointment.  Interestingly enough, none are the fault
| of Pardus, as the issues lie elsewhere in other applications.
|
| Do I recommend Pardus 2009 for new users?  Yes, and completely yes.  For
| power users?  Not really.  There are few distros that properly balance the
| needs of the new user with that of the power user, and Pardus chose not to
| try to be one of those, instead siding with new users.  But that's fine,
| because this is a good distribution for friends, family, and the occasional
| co-worker who wants to try out Linux, but needs something newbie friendly to
| cut their teeth on.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/articles/review_pardus_2009/

Recent:

Progress with Pardusman on Web

,----[ Quote ]
| Web-Pardusman has a schedulder queue where each distro build request will be
| queued according to the server build capacity and at a time specific number
| of builds will be processed. After the build, next request will be accpeted
| from the queue.
`----

http://www.sarathlakshman.info/2009/08/06/progress-with-pardusman-on-web/

Pardus Linux 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| Pardus is surprisingly good and is certainly well worth a download for
| anybody in the market for an off-the-beaten path desktop distribution.
| Beginners can certainly give Pardus a whirl and intermediate and advanced
| Linux users might also enjoy it.
|
| If you arenât sure about trying Pardus 2009 then hold off until the Live CD
| version is ready so you donât have to install it to check it out.
`----

http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2009/07/23/pardus-linux-2009/

Pardus Linux 2009 International on my Thinkpad T60

,----[ Quote ]
| This distro has some great potential.  Ubuntu and itâs derivatives may be
| influential in the English and French speaking world, I can see Pardus being
| influential in the Turkish and Asian speaking world.
`----

http://www.saigonnezumi.com/2009/07/23/pardus-l2009-international-on-my-thinkpad-t60/

Interesting things I saw at GCDS: Pardus Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| This year at GCDS I had the pleasure of meeting GÃkmen and GÃkÃen
| (pronounced âGerkmanâ and âGerkchanâ with hard Gees not Jays). They are part
| of a relatively small team of around 15 developers who are sponsored by the
| Turkish government work on a Turkish Linux distribution called Pardus. It is
| a KDE focused distribution which has been around since the end of 2005. What
| makes this distribution so interesting is the system tools and configuration
| tools which they've developed based heavily on Python, PyQt and PyKDE.
|
| Here is a run down on the custom tools that I'm aware of and my impression
| thereof. I'm getting most of this information from the document âPython in
| Pardusâ [1], my discussions with G & G, and what I've seen from playing a bit
| with the current RC2 inside Virtual Box.
`----

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/4022

Distro Hoppin`: Pardus Linux 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| The fact that Pardus made me actually enjoy using KDE 4 is by itself an
| indication of the overall quality of this operating system. It's easy to
| install, easy to configure, 100% up-to-date and more importantly, very
| stable. I've used many distributions that shipped with ages-old software "for
| improved stability" that performed much worse than Pardus. Hopefully, the
| future will bring a bigger software repository and maybe support for other
| desktop environments.
|
| Turkey, you've got yourself one of the finest OSes out there!
`----

http://www.itlure.com/2009/07/distro-hoppin-pardus-linux-2009.html

Pardus 2009 review

http://linuxbsdos.com/2009/08/03/pardus-2009-review/