[News] Google -- with Market Value Almost on Par with Microsoft's -- Uses GNU/Linux Against Windows

  • Subject: [News] Google -- with Market Value Almost on Par with Microsoft's -- Uses GNU/Linux Against Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 08:24:26 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

An Operating System for the Cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's troubles make the company's OS doubly vulnerable. Vista, its
| current version, has been roundly criticized, and it has never caught on as
| widely as the company anticipated; many Microsoft customers continue to use
| the previous version of Windows, XP. A new version being released this fall,
| Windows 7, promises to remedy the worst problems of Vista. But even 7 may not
| address a set of technical issues that both galvanize Microsoft's critics and
| stoke the appetites of Brin and Page to create a more pleasing alternative.
| In their view, the Microsoft OS takes too long to boot up, and it slows down
| even the newest hardware. It is too prone to viral attacks and too
| complicated.
`----

http://www.technologyreview.com/web/23140/page1/

Server side Android, a Google version of Amazon's EC2

,----[ Quote ]
| While everyone contemplates the place that Android will hold on the mobile
| device, in home entertainment and on the netbook, there is another
| interesting use-case for Android that's not yet been talked about. There's no
| reason that Android, as a complete OS, application stack and ecosystem
| (including the app market), has to be run on the client side. In environments
| where multiple users might want to use the same client hardware (monitor,
| keyboard, mouse, etc), such as at the office, the thin-client model could be
| a very useful way to access any given user's Android session. This way, the
| Android session can be displayed at any end-point, be it a desktop, notebook,
| meeting-room projector, or even smartphone device. Using a VPN or even SSL
| protected web browser session from home, a user could also bring up their
| work Android session.
`----

http://www.trendcaller.com/2009/08/server-side-android-google-version-of.html

Recent:

Google Chrome OS Could Be Pivotal in the Cloud Revolution

,----[ Quote ]
| Google Chrome OS is arriving just in time to take advantage of the perfect
| storm of cloud services, cheap hardware, and a new generation of
| platform-agnostic users. Unlike other Linux-based OSs, Chrome has brand
| recognition that even the biggest neophyte could get comfortable with.
`----

http://www.pcworld.ca/news/column/c82b7787c0a800060021a44e68c1a8d4/pg0.htm

Are these the first images of Google Chrome OS?

,----[ Quote ]
| An anonymous tipster sent the following images to us this morning, claiming
| they are actual images of Chrome OS. We can't say much for certain at this
| point, so pass judgment yourselves in the comments.
`----

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/07/30/are-these-the-first-images-of-google-chrome-os/

CHROME OS â First look?

,----[ Quote ]
| I wonder if Google will disguise their OS, put it on specs of their choosing
| and âtestâ members of the public? I wouldnât have thought so, Google has
| a âclean slateâ when it comes to OSâs.
|
| This could be the making of Google as an OS developer, but whatever it turns
| out to be, its another choice for users and that can only be a good thing.
`----

http://openbytes.wordpress.com/2009/07/30/chrome-os-first-look/

[Wild Conjecture] Chrome OS as I imagine it

,----[ Quote ]
| Myself, I donât think Iâd use it either, Iâm too much in love with my KDE
| setup right now. But it was just technically stimulating to try to visualize
| how the PhDs in Google would strategize something like this.
`----

http://envb.sapphirewillow.com/writings/2009/07/wild-conjecture-chrome-os-as-i-imagine-it/

The Android OS comes to the PC

,----[ Quote ]