[News] Pirate Party UK Formed to Reform Copyright Law

Pirate Party UK Officially Registered

,----[ Quote ]
| The UK Pirate Party has been officially registered at the Electoral
| Commission and is hoping to follow in the footsteps of its successful
| counterpart in Sweden. With all the recent controversy surrounding
| anti-piracy legislation and lawyers going after alleged file-sharers, the
| party has become necessity.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-party-uk-officially-registered-090811/

Why the Internet Will Shape Social Values (and not the other way around)

,----[ Quote ]
| If anything, I suspect the internet is going to create a society that is more
| honest and forgiving. We will be returning to a world of thin anonymity - a
| world where it is difficult to escape from the choices you've made in the
| past. But the result won't be a world where fewer people take risks, it will
| be a world that recognizes those risks were necessary and expected.
`----

http://eaves.ca/2009/08/11/why-the-internet-will-shape-social-values-and-not-the-other-way-around/

Recent:

Author Using Questionable Copying Claim Against Twilight Author For Publicity

,----[ Quote ]
| Shouldn't there be sanctions for abusing copyright law to file bogus lawsuits
| just to get some press for your book?
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090806/1917485794.shtml

Canadians: Please make your voice heard today on copyright law

,----[ Quote ]
| The Canadian government has set up an online public consultation process to
| revise its copyright policy, running until September 13, 2009. If you live in
| Canada, now is your chance to take back your copyright law.
`----

http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/canadian-copyright-consultation

Green party defends P2P legalization, collective licensing scheme

,----[ Quote ]
| The German Green party has defended the idea of a "culture flat rate" to pay
| for a legalization of file sharing, according to a report from heise.de.
| Germany's Greens have been proposing collective licensing in combination with
| the legalization of non-commercial file sharing for a while, and party
| officials recently came out to defend the idea against critics from other
| parties as well as industry associations.
`----

http://www.p2p-blog.com/item-1132.html

Canadian copyright collecting agency subverting open debate on copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| Access Copyright, the Canadian author's collecting society (a group that
| collects money from libraries for book lending and gives it to authors) is
| using its members' money to sabotage an enormously popular consultation on
| the future of Canadian copyright.
|
| [...]
|
| As a Canadian author, Access Copyright is supposed to represent my interests
| in the Canadian copyright debate. Instead, they are setting out to undermine
| the first glimmer of sanity in Canadian copyright policy in three
| governments -- and using my money to do it. For shame.
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/07/29/canadian-copyright-c-1.html

BNN Trying To Silence The Canadian Copyright Debate?

,----[ Quote ]
| Given the above evidence one can only assume that The Business News Networkâs
| intended goal is to silence the debate surrounding Canadian copyright reform
| by suppressing the rebroadcast of clips which may be unfavourable for
| industry lobby groups.
`----

http://www.ccer.ca/canadian-copyright-reform/bnn-trying-to-silence-the-canadian-copyright-debate/

Radio-Canada Issues YouTube Takedown Over Harper Communion Video

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4117/125/