Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Utter Failure with Security Raises Liability Questions

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Should Microsoft be Liable for its Flaws?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The recent attacks on Twitter and Facebook, probably using Windows
> | botnets, have highlighted an old issue: whether Microsoft should be held
> | responsible for the flaws in its software that cause such costly global
> | downtimes.
> |
> | At first glance, it's an attractive option. After all, it could be
> | argued that the company has made billions of dollars of profit from
> | software that has caused billions of dollars of losses for users around
> | the world, and so it would be only fair if some of that unjustly gained
> | dosh were redistributed to those who have suffered at its hands.

Micoshaft rake in vast amounts of money selling its OSen and its
applications. Its time they shared out some of that revenue to its victims
by settling damage claims caused by weak security they could have and should
have repaired in a timely manner.

> http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs
index.cfm?entryid=2437&blogid=14

> Nine MS security bulletins create busy updates workload
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft released the expected nine patches - five critical - as part
> | of a busy August Patch Tuesday update that focuses primarily on
> | client-side vulnerabilities.
> `----
>
> http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/08/12/nokia_maemo_smartphone/
>

> Related:
>
> New banking code cracks down on out-of-date software
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The banking industry has re-affirmed a policy that makes online banking
> | customers responsible for losses if they have out of date anti-virus or
> | anti-phishing protection. New Banking Codes for consumers and businesses
> | took effect on Monday.
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/04/banking_code_2008/
>

> Bots rule in cyberspace
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | USA TODAY REPORTS that on an average day, 40 per cent of the 800 million
> | computers connected to the Internet are bots used to send out spam,
> | viruses and to mine for sensitive personal data.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/17
bots-rule-cyberspace
> http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news
computersecurity/2008-03-16-computer-botnets_N.htm