[News] Microsoft Colludes, Abuses, and Lies in Sub-notebooks

Windows 7: Microsoft Takes Netbook OEMs on Short Leash

,----[ Quote ]
| When Windows 7 comes to market, the Starter Edition will be conceived
| especially for notebooks. As they did for Windows XP, Microsoft has come up
| with a list of technical limitations.

Dell: Microsoft making something out of nothing

,----[ Quote ]
| I realize Canonical is trying to be polite and stay to the moral high road,
| but the issue here is that there is a huge disinformation campaign on that
| Microsoft is âa changed companyâ or âfinally gets Open Sourceâ, and playing
| into that by â. generously â. stating Microsoft is âa great companyâ
| or âbetter than thatâ, is: 1. Just not true. 2. Supporting the lie that
| Microsoft has changed in some material manner.
| So, while it is sad and no surprise Microsoft continues to lie and distort,
| it is nice to hear from a major player like Dell putting the smack down on
| FUD.

Dell: Linux v Windows netbook returns a 'non-issue'

,----[ Quote ]
| Todd Finch, Dell senior product marketing manager, said the number of Linux
| returns are approximately the same as those for Windows netbooks. He
| categorized the matter of returns as a "non-issue".
| "They are making something of nothing," he said of Microsoft's claims. Finch
| appeared to be referring to Dell's own netbook sales.

Microsoft Loses $435 Million in Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| According to current figures from Netbookdigest.com, Microsoft has lost
| $435,000,000 over the last year in netbook sales.
| While Microsoft has maintained about 90% of the desktop and notebook market,
| netbooks come in at only 70%. Part of the reason is Linux, but part is
| Microsoft itself.

The Netbook Effect: How Cheap Little Laptops Hit the Big Time

,----[ Quote ]
| The miserly constraints spurred her to be fiendishly resourceful. Instead of
| using a spinning hard drive she chose flash memoryâthe type in your USB thumb
| driveâbecause it draws very little juice and doesn't break when dropped. For
| software she picked Linux and other free, open source packages instead of
| paying for Microsoft's wares. She used an AMD Geode processor, which isn't
| very fast but requires less than a watt of power. And as the piÃce de
| rÃsistance, she devised an ingenious LCD panel that detects whether onscreen
| images are static (like when you're reading a document) and tells the main
| processor to shut down, saving precious electricity.

Make your Ubuntu distro look like the Mini Mi

,----[ Quote ]
| The HP Mini MI netbook provides one of the slickest available Ubuntu GUIs.
| Hobbyists have now figured out how to install that pretty GUI on non-Mi
| platforms.
| [...]
| If you're a Ubuntu user and are considering giving the theme a spin, make
| sure to check out the entire thread. Installation and use are not as
| clear-cut as you might hope and there is a real risk involved, particularly
| for users who are not experienced with these kinds of mods. You may have to
| do a little clean-up work on Open Office and a few other packages. But as one
| poster writes, " I love this new look!" and you may too.

Review: Dell Inspiron Mini 12

,----[ Quote ]
| The review model provided runs the Ubuntu distribution of Linux. This poses
| an interesting conundrum for many people because, although Linux avoids the
| extra cost of a Windows licence, it can be a daunting prospect for those who
| have never used it before.
| [...]
| Overall, the Mini 12 seems best suited to the type of worker who may move
| around a lot, but usually works in an environment that has access to power,
| for instance a sales executive who visits a lot of client sites, or a manager
| who spends a lot of time at remote or branch offices.

Netbooks are a win for Microsoft? Think again.

,----[ Quote ]
| And given that price is the most important element of the netbook market, the
| moment Microsoft feels they've solidified their market share and being
| raising prices, their share will vaporize. ÂLinux's existence on netbooks
| will continue to create a loss for them, regardless of how much "market
| share" they have. ÂAnd the best part is, as people get used to Linux on the
| netbooks, they'll eventually want it on the desktop as well. ÂAnd that's
| something that Microsoft will do anything to avoid.

Microsoft Leaves the Door Wide Open for Linux on Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows 7 Starter Edition will also be made available to OEM's for
| installation on netbooks in all markets. This is presumably so that MS can
| finally end the sales of Windows XP to the netbook makers. I find it
| hilarious that Microsoft will offer such a limited, pathetic product for the
| netbook market. This will be a huge opportunity for the Linux community to
| educate the public about the plethora of free, feature complete Linux
| distributions available to run on their netbooks.

Cheap PCs Weigh on Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]