[News] Evaluation of SELinux and Glimpse at GFS

The Cost of SELinux, Audit, & Kernel Debugging

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, the area where SELinux / Audit and the debugging-enabled kernel really
| impacted the performance was with the disk and database tests (along with
| Apache). In the other Linux desktop benchmarks, there was a smaller margin,
| with some being more noticeable than the others. Disabling SELinux and Audit
| will certainly improve the performance of Fedora, while running a kernel with
| all of the debugging code enabled will cost you quite a bit in the way of
| performance. For developers, having this kernel debugging support is
| important, while for security-oriented users, having Security Enhanced Linux
| and system-call auditing support is important and worth the low cost, even
| with Intel Atom hardware.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=fedora_debug_selinux&num=1

Google File System II: Dawn of the Multiplying Master Nodes

,----[ Quote ]
| In an interview with the Association for Computer Machinery (ACM), Google's
| Sean Quinlan says that nearly a decade after its arrival, the original Google
| File System (GFS) has done things he never thought it would do.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/12/google_file_system_part_deux/

Recent:

SELinux and Security changes in the 2.6.27 Kernel

,----[ Quote ]
| # SELinux deferred mapping of filesystem contexts
| This patch by Stephen Smalley addresses the case where "alien" SELinux
| security labels need to be written to the local filesystem, for example, in
| the case of building RPMs where the local policy is different to the policy
| on the system where the RPM is to be installed. This will help with enabling
| SELinux on build systems (e.g. in the Fedora infrastructure) and more
| generally with packagers and ISVs shipping third party policy with RPMS.
`----

http://james-morris.livejournal.com/35287.html

Big Thanks To The SELinux Team

,----[ Quote ]
| I started using Fedora back in the Fedora 8 days. ÂIâve always tried to run
| SELinux in enforcing mode and back in the Fedora 8-9 days that seemed to mean
| Iâd have some SELinux issue every few days. ÂIt wasnât a big deal, but it was
| annoying and very tempting to turn it off completely.
`----

http://californiaquantum.wordpress.com/2009/06/30/big-thanks-to-the-selinux-team/

LinuxWorld preview: IBM engineer touts SELinux

,----[ Quote ]
| As SELinux adoption grows, therefore, the research-and-development challenge
| is to make it more user-friendly. "As we find issues, we'll fix them,"
| Shanker said. "We have to make it easier for the regular person to use. Once
| they learn it, they love it."
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid39_gci1323731,00.html

Ubuntu gets SELinux