[News] Free Software for PVRs Gets Millions in Funding

Boxee raises $6 million, eyes more deals

,----[ Quote ]
| Boxee raised its series A round, to the tune of $4 million, last November.
| With the new financing the company hopes to ink more deals with media
| companies and set-top box manufacturers, as well as hire more employees to
| keep building out its technology (which includes a developer platform).
| Currently in an alpha test phase, Boxee hopes to expand to a beta test in
| October.

Boxee Will Blow You Away

,----[ Quote ]
| Boxee is a cross-platform freeware media center software with promising new
| social networking features. Boxee is based on XBMC media center, an award
| winning open source project. Since i had Âalready tested the latest XBMC
| 9.04, i was not expecting anything dramatic from an alpha release of Boxee. I
| was way wrong.

Boxee vs. Zinc vs. Hulu

,----[ Quote ]
| As far as the BoxeeBox is concerned, I canât wait to revert to being back
| using a Linux platform for all my media streaming-media needs.

Boxee Battles Big Media

,----[ Quote ]
| Boxee was first released in mid-2008 to users of Apple (AAPL) Macintosh
| computers and machines running the Linux operating system.

Boxee hack restores Hulu (sort of)

,----[ Quote ]
| Unfortunately, Linux users will need to be patient for a few weeks while all
| these enhancements get phased into the Ubuntu version of Boxee, according to
| a Boxeeâs blog post on the new Hulu support.

Why Does Everyone Heart Boxee?

,----[ Quote ]
| The buzz has been building for Boxee lately. Mainstream news outlets like The
| New York Times, BusinessWeek and NPR are getting hip to the little
| open-source media center that could quite possibly change the way you
| experience TV.

Boxee now open to all Ubuntu, Mac, ATV users

,----[ Quote ]
| Boxee has just opened up its free A/V media center platform to all Ubuntu,
| Mac, and AppleTV users. Additionally, Boxee for Windows has
| entered âprivate-alphaâ phase, during which prospective users apply for the
| software online and wait for a download link.

Boxee: Open Source Connected TV

Boxee does better

,----[ Quote ]
| So, credit where it is due - it at least looks like Boxee is trying to both
| recognize and comply with the GPL.

Boxee plugs into Joost, MTV Music

,----[ Quote ]