[News] Patent Scum Claims to be Speaking on Behalf of Whole State

Patent Hawk Files Supreme Court Brief On Behalf Of All Oregon; Oregon Officials
Say 'Who?'

,----[ Quote ]
| You may recall that a guy named Gary Odom, who refers to himself often in the
| third person as "Patent Hawk," has been known to stop by here every so often
| to insult us without ever, you know, backing up a point. His day job is
| helping companies do patent/prior art searches. Last year, he made a bit of
| news by suing Microsoft for a patent he held on "editable toolbars" (exciting
| stuff). Microsoft later accused him of violating a contract, in that Odom
| (whoops) had worked for Microsoft, and had an agreement about not filing for
| certain types of patents, or asserting them against Microsoft.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090813/1246265866.shtml

Recent:

The Linux Defenders: Stop the Trolls, Protect Linux, Further Innovation

,----[ Quote ]
| Patent Trolls are an ever-growing threat to global innovation. These IP
| aggregators purchase low-quality patents and use them as leverage to hijack
| potential revenue and profits from hardware and software companies, our
| largest economic driver. This causes entrepreneurs to reconsider launching
| companies, while CEOs devote more of their time and resources to managing
| intellectual property. New online and offline tools and services are becoming
| available to combat Patent Trolls and enable technology companies to focus on
| their core business.
`----

http://www.linuxtag.org/2009/en/program/freies-vortragsprogramm/wednesday/details.html?talkid=582

Distric Court Warns that "Patentee's Time For Trolling" Will End Without More
Definite Infringement Contention

,----[ Quote ]
| In June 2008, DSC was given the source code to 8 of the accused software
| products, along with executable copies and operating manuals for the accused
| products. Despite having this information, DSC did not elaborate further on
| the PICs.
`----

http://271patent.blogspot.com/2009/06/distric-court-warns-that-patentees-time.html

Patent Litigation Weekly: PubPat and "Patent Troll" Make Strange Bedfellows

,----[ Quote ]
| Ravicher acknowledged that it seems strange for a lawyer affiliated with
| PubPatâeven as a volunteerâto have gone so far as to set up his own
| patent-holding company and then sued a group of major Internet players.
|
| "Dave, if you were to talk to him, heâd say software patents are good, and
| they incentivize innovation," says Ravicher. "Some people canât be friends
| with people who disagree with them. But Iâm friends with lots of people I
| have strenuous disagreements with."
|
| Asked whether he surprised by his friend's involvement in the business
| colloquially known as "patent trolling," Ravicher pauses, and then
| laughs. "Nothing surprises me these days."
`----

http://thepriorart.typepad.com/the_prior_art/2009/06/pubpat-and-patent-troll-make-strange-bedfellows.html

Former Microsoft Exec to Release Patent Troll Study

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.xchangemag.com/hotnews/former-microsoft-exec-to-release-patent-troll.html