[News] Free Software Takes Paywalls Away from Lawyers

Firefox Plugin Liberates Paywalled Court Records

,----[ Quote ]
| "If you want to access federal court records, you're often forced to use
| PACER, a cumbersome, paywalled Web site run by the federal judiciary. My
| colleagues and I at Princeton's Center for IT Policy have released a new
| Firefox extension called RECAP that allows users to automatically upload the
| documents they download from PACER into a public archive hosted by the
| Internet Archive. It also saves users money by automatically notifying them
| if a document they're searching for is available for free from the public
| archive. Over time, we hope to build a comprehensive, free repository of
| federal court records that's available to everyone."
`----

http://news.slashdot.org/story/09/08/14/1158247/Firefox-Plugin-Liberates-Paywalled-Court-Records

Recap The Law: Getting Public Legal Data Back To The Public

,----[ Quote ]
| There's been a push by people both inside and outside the government to get
| public court documents out to the public. As it stands now, most court
| documents can be found via PACER, the court system's own online service,
| which charges $0.08 per page. PACER notes that it's charging for the
| documents to cover its own costs of managing its system, but this still
| bothers many who don't like the fact that important public domain case law is
| so costly. There are some private services, like Justia trying to fill the
| void, and Carl Malamud is pushing hard to get the government to put public
| documents up for the public to read.

Use RECAP To Bypass Court Document PACER Paywall

,----[ Quote ]
| If the RIAA canât stop music sharing, the U.S. government is going to have an
| even harder time trying to stop the sharing of federal court documents hidden
| behind a paywall. Those documents arenât protected by copyright law.
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/08/14/use-recap-to-bypass-court-document-pacer-paywall/

Recent:

Why Is Obama's Top Antitrust Cop Gunning for Google?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/magazine/17-08/mf_googlopoly?currentPage=1