Re: [News] GNU/Linux Sub-notebooks to Cost Under AU$400

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 21:42:26 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
<snip>

> Recent:
>
> HP Mini 110 now available in Australia
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The Linux based model comes with a 16G solid state drive in place of a
> hard | disk, and sells for $499.
> `----
>
> http://www.itwire.com/index.php?
option=com_content&task=view&id=26239&Itemid=53

>From the comments section of that article:-

begin{quote}

Re: HP Mini 110 now available in Australia

Post by habbers on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:19 pm
I just went to purchase the linux model today and found that it is sold
out :(
I rang HP and apparently thats it.
 It is not likely there will be any linux versions available until a new
model comes out. You can only get the windows versions now for $699 and
that comes with a 160 GB harddisk rather than a solid state drive which
was in the linux version.
 I am disappointed but it is pretty amazing that the linux version can
sell out in a month of being on sale. I have no interest in purchasing a
laptop with windows so will have to make sure I am quicker next time.

end{quote}

Yet another Linux netbook that sold out in days. I had exactly the same
experience when buying a Asus EepC900 and a Acer Aspire One.

 In each case I placed my order with online companies showing reasonable
stock levels, only to be told within 24 hours that they had sold out
before processing my orders.

 I had to cancel all the orders and re order via other online companies
after first phoning them and getting them to put actual units aside for
me before I ordered.

There was never any shortage of XP home versions, which I later saw were
available at clearance prices.

When you get past the Microsoft hype into the cold reality of actually
buying a Linux powered netbook, you discover that they sell like hotcakes
and that it's unsold XP junk that's clogging the shelves of retailers.

--
C.O.L.A Charter:-
"For discussion of the benefits of GNU/Linux compared to other