[News] House Analogy for Free Software versus Non-Free Software

If Houses Were Like Proprietary Software

,----[ Quote ]
| OK, so these aren't particularly deep thoughts, and the analogy is a bit
| strained. Still, it's not that daft in this brave era of business people
| without conscience who see nothing wrong with exploiting us in every way
| possible, by collecting, mining, and trading our personal data, and
| micro-managing what we do with our own property that we have purchased. Look
| at the latest offender, Palm, with their shiny new Palm Pre WebOS, complete
| with spyware that phones home on the customer's dime. How nice to see Linux
| used to abuse us, now that's innovation!
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2009-08-15-001-35-OP-B

Windows Spam on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| I chuckled, of course, knowing that our computer is RHEL5 using Firefox
| 3.0.x. But, being the 24/7 support person, I went upstairs. The odd thing was
| that the screen behind the dialogue box looked very Windoze-like. I went to a
| terminal window, and did a kill -15 on the firefox process. That killed it
| right away, and it was only using 5% of CPU, so it couldn't have been too
| evil.
|
| I then did a find / -ctime 0 -print to see all of the changes/adds.
| Interestingly, there were some .wine files in our /tmp, which would explain
| the Windoze-like appearance. I am kind of curious now what the thing might
| have tried to do had we agreed to download their anti-spyware.
`----

http://aplawrence.com/Linux/win-spam.html

Recent:

Are we too naive by believing that GNU/Linux is more secure by design?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://maratux.blogspot.com/2009/07/are-we-too-naive-by-believing-that.html