[News] Altruism Builds Powerful and Free Software

The True Spirit of Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| News flash: it is these people who drive open source software. Those large,
| reliable open source projects with all of the sparkle and polish? They became
| that way because large groups of people found them useful enough that they
| decided to invest their time in making the project even better. But in all
| cases, for open source software to progress, people have to be willing to
| give up their time and energy for free and with no expectation of reward.
| Open source is driven by pure altruism.
`----

http://www.liveandcode.com/2009/08/12/the-true-spirit-of-open-source/

In Quest of Open Source Load- and Stress-Testing Tools

,----[ Quote ]
| I heard from more than 30 people on every aspect of the subject, and as you
| might imagine, some of the comments hit the cutting room
| floor. Among them, alas, was the full-length response from Alice Kaerast: "I
| understand enough about security to feel comfortable that my code is written
| securely, and the beauty of open source means that there are many people
| actively testing and checking code, all of whom know about detecting
| vulnerabilities better than any software."
`----

http://www.itworld.com/open-source/74594/quest-open-source-load-and-stress-testing-tools

Recent:

Father of microloans sees end to poverty

,----[ Quote ]
| Computer programmer Tom Bostelmann had felt disconnected from philanthropy as
| a tech guy. Now he works as a consultant to the Grameen Technology Center,
| developing open-source banking systems software. Â
`----

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/335705_yunus17.html

Related:

Altruism and open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The story illustrates a point. That is, open source goals are often
| directed outward, not inward. It's not, I'm going to make money, but
| we're going to accomplish some larger goal.
|
| Often the target of open source ambition is the customer. Open
| source projects drive out costs and bring savings, which multiply
| as customers learn more about their open source tools.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=795

Why Do Some Software Programmers Work for Free?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/odd-numbers/2007/08/31/why-do-some-software-programmers-work-for-free