[News] Free Communication Already in Trouble

5 Signs Our Broadband Plan May Already Be In Trouble

,----[ Quote ]
| As the government continues to work on crafting our first national broadband
| plan, there's been a lot of talk about how that process is consumer-centric,
| transparent, and data-driven. The FCC has spent the last few months talking
| about how they might actually start using real data to make policy decisions
| (astounding). Uncle Sam has unveiled a series of workshops to help consumers
| feel involved in the process (amazing). The FCC even says they'll be using
| more scientists and engineers and fewer lawyers and policy wonks
| (incredible).
`----

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/5-Signs-Our-Broadband-Plan-May-Already-Be-In-Trouble-103936

Venezuela mulls tough media law

,----[ Quote ]
| A tough new media law, under which journalists could be imprisoned for
| publishing "harmful" material, has been proposed in Venezuela.
`----

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8177862.stm

Fusion Center Encourages Improper Investigations Of Lobbying Groups And
Anti-War Activists

,----[ Quote ]
| A Texas fusion center's âPrevention Awareness Bulletinâ made public last
| night is the latest example of inappropriate police intelligence operations
| targeting political, religious and social activists for investigation. The
| North Central Texas Fusion System bulletin states that it is âimperative for
| law enforcement officers to reportâ the activities of lobbying groups, Muslim
| civil rights organizations and anti-war protest groups in their areas.
`----

http://www.aclu.org/privacy/gen/38835prs20090225.html

Recent:

South Korea Bans Anonymous Posting On Popular Websites

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090505/1854164760.shtml