[News] Renewed Pressure for Free Software in Voting Machines

Why Governments must make voting systems open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Even if the results of the election are not to your personal taste any
| reasonable person may have confidence in the legitimacy of the result because
| they know the processes are transparent and trustworthy with visible checks
| and balances.
|
| By contrast, a proprietary, closed, electronic voting system does not offer
| the same degree of assurance. To trust its results you must trust the vendor.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/26968/1141/

Open-source voting: Secure over obscure?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=22684

Recent:

Yet Another E-Voting Glitch; This One Adds 5,000 Phantom Votes

,----[ Quote ]
| Another election using e-voting machines... and another set of stories
| concerning massive problems. Slashdot points us to the news that a local
| election in Rapid City, South Dakota, was about to go to a runoff after no
| one hit the 50% mark, when someone finally noticed that the 10,488 vote total
| seemed a bit high. So, they went back and recounted the actual ballots, and
| discovered only 5,613 people voted, but the software added up the votes
| incorrectly. Once again, we're left wondering why it's so difficult to do
| simple arithmetic -- and why e-voting companies like ES&S are so against
| allowing experts to look at their source code and maybe help catch some of
| these bugs before they totally screw up an election.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090608/2201455173.shtml

Scanner glitch blamed for election miscounts

,----[ Quote ]
| A Pennington County computer software accounting error, and lack of a
| manually compiled city tally sheet, were blamed Wednesday for reporting
| mistakes in Tuesday's municipal and school election results.
`----

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2009/06/04/news/local/doc4a26be929b134639509302.txt

All We Need is an Open Source Linux-based Voting System

,----[ Quote ]
| We all know how secure an operating system Linux is when compared to the more
| widely used Windows. So I think one of the best ways to achieve an
| extra-reliable hard-to-hack automated polling system is simply to use Linux.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2009/04/all-we-need-is-open-source-linux-based.html

Election industry fights open source like it is 1999

,----[ Quote ]
| The Election Technology Council, which has given us years of questionable
| election results with systems that canât be audited and whose accuracy thus
| canât be guaranteed, is out with a white paper saying that, in effect, if
| code is disclosed only outlaws will have code.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=4033

Related:

The brazilian Election Supreme Court migrates 430 thousand voting machines to
GNU / Linux

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://techforce.com.br/index.php/news/linux_blog/tse_migrates_to_linux