[News] Reviews of PcLinuxOS 2009.2 and PCLinuxOS LXDE

Mini Review: PcLinuxOS 2009.2

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall though, I like the new version.  They appear to have fixed all my
| previous gripes and have once again made it to the top of my recommended
| list.  Congrats to the PCLOS team, and keep up the good work, because I like
| where you're going with your distro.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/articles/mini_review_pclinuxos_20092/

PCLinuxOS LXDE (PCLXDE) 2009 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Verdict: Big thumbs up. I would highly recommend PCLinuxOS 2009, the LXDE
| version, to anyone who has an old computer that needs new life breathed into
| it. This is probably the best Linux distro Iâve found for this computer, and
| Iâm going to keep it.
`----

http://greentechgirl.com/green-computing/pclinuxos-lxde-pclxde-2009-review/

Recent:

Why Should You Love PCLinuxOS 2009.2?

,----[ Quote ]
| What I liked the most in PCLinuxOS 2009.2?
|
| 1.Cosmetics: This point release sports a better look-n-feel than 2009.1.
| 2.Updates: It endows tons of updates over 2009.1, making it a must for anyone
| doing a fresh install.
| 3.Stability: I don't much of the linux internals but this release seems well
| tested and polished.
| 4.CPU management: This release does a great job managing your CPU and power.
| After installation of 2009.2 when I set out to configure cpu-scaling, I was
| really surprised to see that pclos had already set proper cpu-scaling for my
| celeron chip.
`----

http://pclinuxos2007.blogspot.com/2009/08/why-should-you-love-pclinuxos-20092.html

REVIEW: PCLinuxOS 2009.2

,----[ Quote ]
| This might actually be the very best distro available for new users, and has
| features that make it a great distro for the rest of us as well.  Another
| distro that is similar to PCLinuxOS, are Mepis even though its Debian based.
| Really, I canât say I liked this distro, but I would say I loved it, that it
| exceeded what I thought possible that a Linux could do.   I would recommend
| PCLinuxOS to anyone, its made me a fan.  Now, on a negative note, what did I
| find that was wrong with PCLinuxOS?  You know I have to find something, even
| if its picky.  So donât take it wrong PCLinuxOS community, but the number one
| thing I found wrong, is no 64 bit version.   Other than that its truly an
| outstanding job folks, please continue the hard work!    The polish and
| attention to detail in this distro is the best I have ever seen.
`----

http://openbytes.wordpress.com/2009/08/11/review-pclinuxos-2009-2/

PCLinuxOS 2009.2 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| The only hurdle in mastering this operating system involves you familiarising
| yourself with the PCLinuxOS Control Center. Fortunately, the menus are
| organised and lots of practice can be done on the Live CD mode anyway. It is
| completely easy to setup from the start and all the applications mentioned
| earlier are all ready for launch. The overall environment makes it very
| appealing to Windows users that never used Linux before thanks to the
| friendly environment that the KDE 3.5 brings.
`----

http://osrevolution.com/os-review/pclinuxos-2009-2-review

PCLinuxOS 2009.2 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| After running into Problems with Mandriva 2009.1 with my sound cutting out
| and making static sounds and sometimes not working at all I decided to give
| PCLinuxOS a try.  Since PCLinuxOS is based on Mandriva the first thing I did
| was check to make sure the sound was working properly and it was.
`----

http://linusearch.com/wordpress/?p=289

PCLinuxOS 2009.2 fits like an old pair of jeans

,----[ Quote ]
| While PCLOS still is very similar than it was back in 2007 and it doesnât
| have the bleeding edge core components, it still has the potential to be a
| very good Linux desktop environment for new Linux users and especially if
| your hardware is slightly aged. What the project now needs to do is to
| rebuild the confidence by showing that they can provide a steady flow of
| updates to the repositories and that they can stick to their new quarterly
| schedule, while focusing on quality control and implementation. It will be
| interesting to see how the year goes for them, and I certainly wish them all
| the best.
`----

http://www.bitburners.com/articles/pclinuxos-20092-fits-like-an-old-pair-of-jeans/4444/

First look at Pardus Linux 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| While I had heard and read good things about Pardus for a few years now, I
| had never tried the distro until the 2009 release. I haven't been this
| enthusiastic about a new distro I've tried in quite some time. I didn't find
| any serious bugs which prevented me from working or which really got in my
| way at all. The implementation of KDE 4 is probably the best I've seen and
| represents the first time I've truly been comfortable working with the latest
| incarnation of KDE as my desktop environment. The implementation of Xfce is
| also first rate. Pardus also offers an excellent variety of unique graphical
| system administration tools that are intuitive and work as expected. Anything
| available in the GUI also has a command-line equivalent. In the case of PiSi,
| the Pardus package manager, the CLI edition also offers additional
| functionality.
|
| Pardus is generally very user-friendly. There are a few convenience features
| found in the major distributions, such as automated upgrade notification and
| automatic network interface switching, that are still lacking in Pardus.
| These aren't bugs but rather are missing niceties that I've gotten used to in
| other distros. The Pardus developers do encourage filing wish list items in
| their bug-tracking system and I may just have to add a few.
| Internationalization and localization is well done and is nearly, but not
| quite, complete for "unsupported" languages. It is very complete and
| functions flawlessly for officially supported languages. I found the forum,
| Wiki, and in general the English-language documentation for Pardus to be
| excellent. When I did post in the forum, I received a quick, friendly, and
| helpful response. That's all anyone can ask of the community behind any
| distribution.
|
| Pardus has a lot to recommend it and definitely rates a try for anyone who
| wants an excellent KDE 4 implementation. Pardus isn't perfect, but its flaws
| and shortcomings are relatively minor compared to many if not most other
| distributions I've tried, including recent releases of some of the big names
| in Linux. It's easy enough to install and use that I would certainly consider
| it a good candidate distribution for a new Linux user, yet it doesn't lack
| the features and, apart from the YALI installer, the flexibility an
| experienced user will desire. I am definitely impressed with Pardus 2009.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090810#feature

Review: Pardus 2009

,----[ Quote ]