[News] Censorship Under Another Attack Vector

US tests censorship circumvention tool; Chinese shrug

,----[ Quote ]
| Citizens living in China, Vietnam, Iran, and other countries may soon have
| another option for bypassing Internet filters, courtesy of a US-based agency.
| The Broadcasting Board of Governors (BBG) announced on Friday that it was
| working on a new system that would use e-mail to carry encrypted data to and
| from the recipient, including information that would otherwise be blocked.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/web/news/2009/08/us-tests-censorship-circumvention-tool-chinese-shrug.ars

Recent:

Chinese porn blocker killed off

,----[ Quote ]
| It's not certain whether the Middle Kingdom's U-turn was brought about by
| public pressure (incredibly unlikely), security fears (significantly more
| likely) or the impending threat of legal action over copyright infringement
| (ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!), but it seems that Green Dam will
| no longer be forcefully installed on every single computer manufactured in or
| imported to China.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1529142/chinese-porn-blocker-killed

China scales back censorship plans

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/13/china_green_dam_voluntary/

China Shuts Down 'Unregistered' Websites

,----[ Quote ]
| We hadn't heard much about the program since then, but apparently the
| government has recently decided to shut down thousands of "unregistered"
| websites, mostly of small businesses.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090225/0047383892.shtml

Italian bloggers' silent protest