[News] SFLC Talks About Business with GPL Licensing, 7-Zip Uses LGPL

The Software Freedom Law Show: Episode 0x14: Considerations on GPL Business
Models

,----[ Quote ]
| Bradley and Karen discuss a few different types of for-profit business models
| that are common around codebases licensed under the GPL.
`----

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/podcast/2009/aug/18/0x14/

7-Zip 9.06 Beta

,----[ Quote ]
| 7-Zip is a file archiver with a high compression ratio and is open source
| software. Most of the source code is under the GNU LGPL license.
`----

http://www.neowin.net/news/software/09/08/18/7-zip-906-beta

Does Copyright Matter? Or, is the End of Dual-Licensing Near?

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux, by contrast, is such a maze of copyrights that there have been threads
| on whether relicensing would be even theoretically possible given the fact
| that some of the original copyright holders were deceased. Unlike MySQL â or,
| as Anderson points out, EveryBlock â the copyrights to the code that makes up
| Linux is held in commons, such that no single entity â not even the majority
| holder, Linus â can make exclusive use of it. SuSE, for example, canât
| introduce its own proprietary extensions to differentiate itself from Red
| Hat. Oracle canât introduce a compatibility layer that only works with its
| distribution of the kernel. And so on. The rights enjoyed by one are the
| rights enjoyed by all, because the copyright doesnât belong to any single
| party.
`----

http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2009/08/19/does-copyright-matter-or-is-the-end-of-dual-licensing-near/

Recent: