[News] First Pictures of Maemo 5 (Nokia's Linux Platform)

Maemo 5 OS screenshots up online at last

,----[ Quote ]
| The eagerly anticipated and awaited Maemo 5 OS has been laid down in a screen
| capture thanks to Eldar of Nokiaâs new Linux beauty. As we know the Maemo is
| destined for a lot more than just Internet Tablets, a whole range of next
| generation handsets are waiting in the pipeline, and expected in due course
| to be fuelled by the Maemo 5.
`----

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2009/08/19/maemo-5-os-screenshots-up-online-at-last/

Recent:

Maemo To Switch To Qt

,----[ Quote ]
| As some had already anticipated when Nokia acquired Trolltech, the next
| version of the Maemo platform will have its application framework based on Qt
| instead of Gtk+. This news was announced at the Gran Canaria Desktop Summit.
| While the switch to Qt may seem a major defeat for the GNOME community, this
| isn't exactly true, as many of the underlying technologies will still be
| GNOME-centric.
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story/21779/Maemo_To_Switch_To_Qt

Nokia's Maemo 'Harmattan' OS Snap Leaked

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia's Maemo is Linux-kernel based mobile OS meant for Nokia N810 tablet
| like devices and smartphones. According to MobileCrunch, the blue section the
| screenshot's background is the static on which the widgets float on a
| scrollable page.
`----

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Nokias_Maemo_Harmattan_OS_Snaps_Leaked/551-102102-580.html

Mer: Remastering Maemo

,----[ Quote ]
| Mer is an outgrowth of Nokia's Maemo environment, designed to flesh out the
| tablet-centric operating system into a full-fledged Linux distribution
| suitable for embedded and desktop systems of all description. The project's
| genesis was an effort to back port the upcoming Maemo 5.0 release to
| no-longer-supported Nokia N800 and N810 tablets, but it has subsequently
| evolved to run on BeagleBoards, embedded navigation devices like the Pocket
| LOOX, and standard x86 hardware.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/322693/

Related:

Nokiaâs Maemo 5 open-source Linux OS promises faster, more powerful Internet
Tablets

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokiaâs little Linux-based, open-source darling has really blossomed into one
| fine looking platform. And, as the Maemo platform that powers Nokia Internet
| Tablets, like the Nokia N810 Internet Tablet, again grows too big for its
| britches, Nokia will have to release newer versions of the Linux-based mobile
| platform.
`----

http://www.intomobile.com/2008/09/17/nokias-maemo-5-open-source-linux-os-promises-faster-more-powerful-internet-tablets.html

Nokia looks beyond Symbian to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| With a 47.9 percent stake in Symbian, the leading mobile platform that it
| co-founded in 1998 and which today powers some 206 million mobile phones,
| Nokia has long championed it at the expense of rival platforms such as Linux.
|
| No longer.
|
| The mobile-phone maker is increasingly selecting Linux for Internet-enabled
| mobile devices, with its CFO declaring of Linux, "It's going to be terribly
| important."
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9949262-7.html

Symbian extends collaboration offer to Google, possibly Android

,----[ Quote ]
| "We already work together and so whatever collaboration, if there is an
| opportunity, we will be happy to collaborate with them," Symbian chief
| executive Nigel Clifford told reporters in Tokyo. "And that could be on the
| application level or that could be on the more fundamental operating system
| level."
`----

http://www.intomobile.com/2008/07/16/symbian-extends-collaboration-offer-to-google-possibly-android.html

Nokia and the battle for open source's soul

,----[ Quote ]
| The Finnish giant had, until now, kept out of the major alliances being
| formed in the mobile Linux space â the LiMo Foundation and the Google-led
| Open Handset Alliance (OHA) â because it could afford to. Enjoying 40 percent
| of the global handset market, and holding the largest stake in the
| market-leading Symbian platform, Nokia did not have to be quite as reactive
| as other manufacturers when it came to the open-source revolution. It was,
| however, inevitable that it would join the revolution and, after a suitable
| period of observer status, it chose the right time to do so.
`----

http://www.itvoir.com/portal/boxx/modules/blogs/Blog-Detail.asp?BlogID=1888

Nokia embraces Ubuntu OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokiaâs Internet Tablet devices are set to get a port of the Linux operating
| system Ubuntu, following the release of the latest âHardy Heronâ v8.04 of
| Ubuntu this week.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/linux/nokia-embraces-ubuntu-os--330238

Nokia does not get it