[News] Texas Instruments Foresees Promising Future for Libre Hardware

Take advantage of open-source hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-source hardware is about sharing work with others for everyoneâs
| benefit. It is acceptable if you never meant for the product to be open. You
| need not make your changes available to the community. In the spirit of
| open-source hardware, however, itâs beneficial for all parties to provide
| upgrades and additions to the community whenever possible so that the next
| user can add other enhancements. When you add a function to hardware, it
| affects the software, which adds a reason to enhance and improve the overall
| performance of the software to take advantage of the new feature. As
| developers design products based on this design, another community member has
| perhaps added the function with the already-completed software work to help
| make it a better product.
|
| In the future, more companies will offer varying levels of open-source
| hardware to their customers and the community at large, creating an
| environment in which developers spend most of their efforts on improving
| rather than re-creating the design. The community can benefit from this
| common goal, so keep your eyes open for the next entrant in the world of
| open-source hardware.
`----

http://www.edn.com/article/CA6676166.html

Hardware Hackers Create a Modular Motherboard

,----[ Quote ]
| Huynh and his team are no strangers to experimenting with new ideas. Earlier
| this year, Huynh and his partner Matt Stack created the Open Source Hardware
| Bank, a peer-to-peer borrowing and lending club that funds open source
| hardware projects. Stack first started working on the X Machina idea about 10
| months ago.
`----

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/08/modular-motherboard/

Recent:

RISC/DSP SoCs ship with Linux tools

,----[ Quote ]
| Texas Instruments (TI) says it is now shipping all four of its OMAP35xx
| system-on-chips (SoCs), and it announced a Linux-based Digital Video Software
| Development Kit (DVSDK) to go with them.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3581886124.html?kc=rss

Triple-core DSP runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Texas Instruments (TI) announced a triple-core digital signal processor (DSP)
| that can run paravirtualized Linux using VirtualLogix's VLX virtualization
| software

TI and Neuros team up to build open-source media platform

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux-based operating system and software stack will be called the Open
| Internet Television HDPlatform and will be developed around TI's TMS320DM644x
| DSP system-on-a-chip line, codenamed DaVinci. Neuros says that additional
| details about the software will be available soon and the individual bounties
| will be announced iteratively over the next six months. Â Â
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080422-ti-and-neuros-team-up-to-build-open-source-media-platform.html

TI Joins LiMo Foundationâ

,----[ Quote ]
| LiMo Foundation and Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN),
| announced today the important addition of TI as the Foundationâs newest Core Â
| member.
`----

http://www.technologynewsdaily.com/node/9534

TI targets Linux and open source with new OMAP chips

,----[ Quote ]
| Texas Instruments is seeking open source developers with its new line of
| OMAP35x chips, with enhanced support for Linux in mobile and embedded
| applications. Â
|
| Kevin Hawkins, marketing manager for OMAP application processors, said âOpen
| source isnât new to TI. We are being more vocal about it now, more active.â
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2093

Related:

BenQ to launch Linux ultramobile device in Q2

,----[ Quote ]
| BenQ's MID sports a Linux operating system, but the company tweaked the user
| interface to work more closely with its functions.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=mobile_and_wireless&articleId=9062221&taxonomyId=15&intsrc=kc_top
http://tinyurl.com/3xe5y4

Chip vendor invests in virtualization company

,----[ Quote ]
| Texas Instruments (TI) has made an undisclosed equity investment in
| virtualization software company VirtualLogix. The companies have agreed to
| collaborate on future Linux-based virtualization technology using TI
| processors, with an apparent focus on wireless applications and network
| access devices.

RISC/DSP chip comes with Linux, targets HD video

,----[ Quote ]
| Texas Instruments (TI) announced a new DaVinci family chip claimed capable of
| transcoding high-definition video at line rates. The TMS320DM6467
| system-on-chip (SoC) weds a 297MHz ARM9 core with a 600MHz C64+ DSP, and is
| available with a development board and software stack based on MontaVista
| Linux.

TI frees its DSP toolchain for open source apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Texas Instruments (TI) is offering open source developers free use of its
| closed-source toolchain for DSPs (digital signal processors) found in several
| popular TI OMAP and DM-series RISC/DSP chips.

DaVinci processors gain Linux SDIO stack

,----[ Quote ]
| EmbWise has ported its Linux SDIO stack to a video-oriented Texas
| Instruments (TI) system-on-chip (SoC) processor and development board.
| SDIOWorx is now available on royalty-free terms for TI's daVinci DM6446
| processor and TI Japan's DM350 reference design, according to the
| company.

Wind River, TI team on Linux phone design

,----[ Quote ]
| Wind River has joined the Texas Instruments (TI) third-party
| ecosystem, and will collaborate with TI's Dallas-based mobile
| handset division on advanced Linux and hardware/software tools
| support for TI's ARM11-based OMAP2430 smartphone processor. The
| partnership could also produce a Linux-based mobile phone
| reference design, according to Wind River.

Linux First? (at Texas Instruments)

,----[ Quote ]
| Texas Instruments (TI) had one operating system at the top if its list
| when it put together support for DaVinci, its latest dual-core ARM/DSP
| OMAP line--MontaVista's Linux. In fact, TI took this support a step
| further by eliminating the need for many developers to program the DSP
| directly using tools such as TI's Code Composer Studio. Instead,
| ARM-based Linux-device drivers implement features such as codecs and
| filters by loading the matching DSP code on the second processor core
| and setting up a link between it and the ARM core.
`----

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?AD=1&ArticleID=13271

Empower Technologies and Texas Instruments Release New Version of Linux OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Empower Technologies and Texas Instruments have together released the
| latest version of Empower's LinuxDA Embedded Operating System (LEOs 2.3)
| running Linux Kernel 2.6.12
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/article.php/20060712102419609

Digital video dev kits include embedded Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Texas Instruments will license and support MontaVista Linux directly, as
| part of a digital video development kit supporting its DaVinci RISC/DSP
| processors. TI's DaVinci Technology Development Kit (TDK) for digital
| video applications will also include software integration and system
| visualization technology, and is expected to ship in Q3. It targets
| IP-set top boxes, video phones, video security systems, and other
| advanced digital video applications.

Real-time Linux is way ahead for TI and Wind River

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/2007/02/26/40832/Real-time+Linux+is+way+ahead+for+TI+and+Wind+River.htm
http://tinyurl.com/2452fc