[News] ODF Support Grows (JDBReport and Storyist Latest Addition), Word Ready for Substitution When Banned

  • Subject: [News] ODF Support Grows (JDBReport and Storyist Latest Addition), Word Ready for Substitution When Banned
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 14:38:59 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

TUAW Review: Storyist 2.0, a professional's writing tool

,----[ Quote ]
| Storyist also has an impressive export capability in case your publisher
| wants to see the document in Word, Open Document, or several other formats.
| Screenplays can be exported to Final Draft, considered by many to be the
| industry standard for script writing.
`----

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/08/19/tuaw-review-storyist-2-0-a-professionals-writing-tool/

JDBReport Generator 1.3 (Windows)

,----[ Quote ]
| Reports can be exported to HTML, Open Document Format (Text Document,
| SpreadSheet), Excel XML.Version 1.3 adds Export to PDF and RTF using iText
| and Export to MS Excel 2003 using Apache POI.
`----

http://downloads.zdnet.com/abstract.aspx?docid=1117879

San Francisco dumps city data online

,----[ Quote ]
| Open access to data's been a growing trend in government circles, thanks to
| the politics of who controls information. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts
| typified the move in 2005 when it said official documents must use the open
| document format (ODF), as Microsoft's Word would lock documents into a format
| owned by a single company. This was before Microsoft's Office Open XML
| (OOXML) formats.
|
| Massachusetts went on to reverse the decision following lobbying from
| Microsoft and local political pressure, but other national and local
| governments in the US and world wide have been moving in the direction of
| using open formats.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/19/san_francisco_datasf_launch/

Word ban threatens industry? Not mine

,----[ Quote ]
| Really? Believe it or not, I have acknowledged that Microsoft Office is good
| enough to buy for power users. However, to say that there are no alternatives
| is obviously ridiculous. Can you say OpenOffice? Google Apps? Zoho?
| StarOffice? Lotus Symphony?
`----

http://education.zdnet.com/?p=2955

Recent:

Court Bans Microsoft From Selling Word

,----[ Quote ]
| In the latest apparent case of the U.S. patent system run amok, Judge Leonard
| Davis of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas issued a
| permanent injunction on Tuesday preventing Microsoft from selling versions of
| Word that handle custom XML in the form of the .DOCX, .DOCM, and .XML file
| formats. Which would mean that Microsoft is now forbidden from selling Word
| 2003 or Word 2007. And since it also forbids Microsoft from testing such
| versions of Word, there would seem to be implications for Office 2010 as
| well.
`----

http://technologizer.com/2009/08/12/court-bans-microsoft-from-selling-word/

Softpatent trolls OOXML and Word

,----[ Quote ]
| We may add that while Microsoft always pays lip service to patent reform and
| patent quality, it effectively obstructed even moderate steps of pragmatic
| reform in the field of software patenting with massive lobbying investment
| and an ideological agenda. An ideological motivation you don't find among all
| the other players which have a real business. The massive lobbying also
| applies to colonial attitudes towards patent regimes of third nations in
| which the American company operates, or the European Union, our main area of
| operations as the FFII e.V. Ironically Microsoft itself is a favourite target
| of troll challenges and no one knows how much profits Marshall Phelps
| actually generates by selling their Microsoft FAT patents. In the spectacular
| case of TomTom we were told it was a very small amount. Some American critics
| as Brian Kahin speak of a patent bubble of low value patents but how is it
| going to burst? When you have a licensing business a good patent is one that
| hurts. Maybe the Encyclopedia Brittannica is an example, it failed
| commercially and now became an (unsuccesful) patent enforcement agency
| against actual market players.
|
| In the recent referral G03/08 about software patentability an European Patent
| Office case named T 424/03 (Microsoft) was center to the debate. Find the
| Amicus letters here. Currently you also have a pending referral on Bilski in
| the US Supreme Court which is more far reaching than software. In the US many
| examination tests were dismantled such as the machine or transformation box
| test which opened the flood gates and unbalanced the system. It was
| reintroduced under the Bilski ruling but appealed at the supreme court. The
| Bilski test does not rule out software or business method patents but
| provides means to reduce the pressure within the examination system in later
| stages.
|
| First you wreck the law, then the trolls wreck you.
|
| [...]
|
| Right now ISO/IEC 29500 ("OOXML") is patent encumbered and cannot be called
| an "open standard" according to conventional definitions and looks unusable
| for the public sector.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-175409/softpatent-trolls-ooxml-and-word

Last year:

Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=697&blogid=14

Euro MP thinks Microsoft should be banned from government contracts

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/10/member-eu-parliament-asks

Green MEP says Microsoft should be excluded from EU contract awarding procedure

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/106338/from/rss09