[News] Microsoft Front Uses New Methods to Promote Intellectual Monopolies

BSA Softens Anti-Piracy Message

,----[ Quote ]
| The alliance, consisting of about 80 companies â including Apple, Microsoft
| and Adobe â is the counterpart to the Recording Industry Association of
| America and the Motion Picture Association of America.
`----

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/08/bsa-softens-anti-piracy-message/

Striking a balance with copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| The various monopoly privileges misnamed âintellectual propertyâ (copyright
| and patent) are relatively recent creations, historically.  Both of them
| derive form something called the âStatute of Anneâ.  More directly, the
| copyright and patent laws in the United States derive from a clause in the
| Constitution which explicitly stipulates that they should only last for
| a âlimited timeâ, and are explicitly required to promote âscience and the
| useful artsâ.  (Article 1, Section 8.)
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/27089

On Plagiarism, Scholarship, and Community Knowledge

,----[ Quote ]
| âDuring the course of this long volume I have undoubtedly plagiarized from
| many sourcesâto use the ugly term that did not bother Shakespeareâs age. I
| doubt whether any criticism or cultural history has ever been written without
| such plagiary, which inevitably results from assimilating the contributions
| of your countless fellow-workers, past and present. The true function of
| scholarship as a society is not to stake out claims on which others must not
| trespass, but to provide a community of knowledge in which others may
| share.â -F. O. Matthiessen, American Renaissance 1941.
`----

http://academhack.outsidethetext.com/home/2009/on-plagiarism-scholarship-and-community-knowledge/

Recent:

BSA's Canadian Piracy Numbers Based On Hunches, Not Actual Surveys

,----[ Quote ]
| The Conference Board of Canada that was basically a cut and paste from
| various industry groups, Geist noticed that the report relied on some BSA
| data. So he asked for more info on how the BSA determined the "piracy" rate
| of software in Canada. How many people were surveyed? What was the
| methodology?
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090527/1125035034.shtml

BSA Releases BS Numbers Yet Again, Then Says Don't Pay Attention To The
Numbers

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, it's the middle of May, and that means (like clockwork) the Business
| Software Alliance (BSA) and IDC have come out with their annual bogus numbers
| about software "piracy." They do this every year, despite the fact that their
| numbers have been totally and completely debunked for years. Last year, they
| were kind enough to call to discuss my concerns, but stood by the idea that
| every unauthorized copy can be reasonably counted as a lost sale.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090512/1922584854.shtml

Aargh! Walk the plank ye scurvy dogs!

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Channel Insider the Business Software Alliance and IDC report
| that software piracy in 2008 cost over $50 billion in lost direct sales and
| $150 to $200 billion in lost service and support.
|
| No analysis is offered as to whether the alleged pirates could have paid for
| licensed copies of the software in question had they chosen to. Nor is it
| explained why users of properly licensed software would have required $150 to
| $200 billion in additional service and support while the pirates manage to do
| without. Rugged, self-sufficient folks those pirates, I suppose.
`----

http://bringcookies.wordpress.com/2009/05/13/aargh-walk-the-plank-ye-scurvy-dogs/

The true cost of software piracy revealed

,----[ Quote ]
| OK, let's forget the spin put on the piracy problem by the usual industry
| suspects. By which I mean the suggestion that the true cost of piracy is that
| it helps fund terrorists.
|
| That is just silly nonsense, FUD designed to confuse rather than clarify what
| has become a growing problem.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/24982/1054/

Related: