[News] Uber-Review of CentOS 5.3, Public Appearances

CentOS 5.3 - Serious Linux for serious people

,----[ Quote ]
| That's it. The longest review ever is coming to an end. My Print Preview
| option in Firefox shows it's 48 pages long should I decide to commit it to
| paper, one and a half times longer any other review I've written so far. But
| I think it's worth it.
|
| We have learned a fearful lot of stuff here. First and the most important
| one, CentOS can be used as a desktop. A solid, stable desktop that will see
| you through almost a decade of support.
|
| You will be able to have almost everything you need. Following a crash course
| in CentOS tweaking and taming, we learned the difference in behavior and
| setup of 32-bit versus 64-bit hosts, we learned how to compile, how to solve
| problems with kernel versions, overcome screen resolution issues, configure
| proxy support and get updates, configure Samba sharing, install multimedia
| codecs, and get our CentOS to look pretty.
`----

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/centos.html

CentOS-based LiveCD at FrOSCon

,----[ Quote ]
| I previously blogged about how we are promoting WiiPresent at FrOSCon 2009 in
| Sankt-Augustin, Germany. We give away Wii Remotes and bluetooth dongles to
| speakers and every conference room has a system hooked up to the beamer that
| is running a custom CentOS-based LiveCD (actually a LiveUSB) image.
`----

http://dag.wieers.com/blog/centos-based-livecd-at-froscon

Recent:

CentOS 4.8 finally there ?

,----[ Quote ]
| So it looks like we are going to have CentOS 4.8 before RHEL 5.4 after all. I
| blogged about the big 4.8 release delays a week ago and we can expect CentOS
| 4.8 on Friday if all goes well. Maybe the weekend ?
`----

http://dag.wieers.com/blog/centos-48-finally-there

CentOS users remain faithful despite developer shakeup

,----[ Quote ]
| Plankers concurred. "The good thing is that because CentOS is just a
| re-labeled Red Hat Enterprise Linux it's pretty easy to move to Red Hat's
| offerings if CentOS goes under. I don't think there's any need to worry now,
| though."
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid39_gci1365177,00.html

CentOS Pulse #0904 - 16 August 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| Â Â1. Foreword
| Â Â2. Announcements
| Â Â Â Â Â1. Kernel NULL pointer vulnerability
| Â Â3. RPM packaging best practices
| Â Â4. Tip Of The Newsletter
| Â Â5. Interview
| Â Â6. Jokes and Funny Stuff
| Â Â Â Â Â1. And what do you do?
| Â Â Â Â Â2. CentOS at LinuxTag from the view of a Debian devloper
| Â Â7. CentOS Errata
| Â Â Â Â Â1. CentOS 3
| Â Â Â Â Â2. CentOS 4
| Â Â Â Â Â3. CentOS 5
| Â Â8. CentOS in the Spotlight
| Â Â9. Upcoming Events
| Â 10. Contributing to this newsletter
`----

http://wiki.centos.org/Newsletter/0904

CentOS head reappears, project back on track

,----[ Quote ]
| The leader of the CentOS GNU/Linux project, Lance Davis, who had gone missing
| for a while and caused other developers on the team some angst, has
| reappeared and held a meeting with them, according to a notice on the project
| website.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/26665/1231/

CentOS 5.3 released

,----[ Quote ]
| The CentOS developers have released version 5.3 for i386 and x86-64
| architectures. CentOS 5.3 is a free Linux distribution based on the source of
| Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.3 (RHEL). The 5.3 release includes several changes
| over version 5.2 including both new and updated packages based on RHEL 5.3
| and custom changes by the CentOS developers.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/135599

CentOS 5.3 Is Here, Based on RHEL 5.3

,----[ Quote ]
| The CentOS development team, through Karanbir Singh, announced last evening
| (March 31st) the immediate release of the CentOS 5.3 Linux distribution. Just
| like Scientific Linux 5.3, the third maintenance release of CentOS 5 is based
| on the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.3 operating system.
| Whatâs new in CentOS 5.3? Well, first of all the software repositories were
| combined into a single one, which will make it easier for the end-user to
| update or install packages. Moreover, a new option has been added in the
| installer, to allow them to add third-party software repositories.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/CentOS-5-3-Is-Here-Based-on-RHEL-5-3-108314.shtml

CentOS 5.2: Send in the Clones

,----[ Quote ]
| If I were in the mood to use an RPM-based distribution, CentOS would be my
| first and probably only choice. It's not as pretty as openSuSE or even its
| cousin Fedora, but it's more stable than both on my setup. Stability wins out
| over eye-candy any day.
|
| CentOS is one of the few distributions that (perhaps due to its emphasis on
| small, incremental changes) manages to pull consistently high marks even from
| me. This release is no exception.
`----

http://www.techiemoe.com/tech/centos52.htm

CentOS 5.2 released

,----[ Quote ]
| After the usual few weeks delay following the release of Red Hat Enterprise
| 5.2, the CentOS project has released its Red Hat clone â CentOS version 5.2. Â
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/109992/from/rss09

Centos 5.1 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| CentOS stands for Community ENTerprise Operating System. As a group, CentOS
| is a community of open source contributors and users. Typical CentOS users
| are organizations and individuals that do not need strong commercial support
| in order to achieve successful operation. CentOS is 100% compatible rebuild
| of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux, in full compliance with Red Hat's
| redistribution requirements. CentOS is for people who need an enterprise
| class operating system stability without the cost of certification and
| support. CentOS is currently ranked #12 at distrowatch   Â
`----

http://simplyjat.blogspot.com/2007/12/centos-51-review.html

CentOS 5 as a Desktop System

,----[ Quote ]
| CentOS 5 is a stable system which can be user either as a server OS or
| as a desktop system for a normal user. The latter requires a few
| modifications in the default installation (like the performance
| fixes mentioned in the article), but after the tweaking is done,
| it works great and is worth recommending.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/redhat/centos-5-free-redhat/

Dollars and CentOS 4.5: Updating Up2date

,----[ Quote ]
| I continue to be impressed with the way CentOS/Red Hat is laid out. There are
| tons of management tools, and mousing over just about anything on the screen
| causes small "help" boxes to open up. Nice touch. Â
`----

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2007/09/dollars_and_centos.html

Is CentOS 5.0 Worth Every Penny?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://junauza.blogspot.com/2007/10/is-centos-50-worth-every-penny.html

Dollars and CentOS 4.5: Updating Up2date

,----[ Quote ]
| I continue to be impressed with the way CentOS/Red Hat is laid out. There are
| tons of management tools, and mousing over just about anything on the screen
| causes small "help" boxes to open up. Nice touch. Â
`----

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2007/09/dollars_and_centos.html

Review: CentOS 5

,----[ Quote ]
| CentOS 5.0 gets high marks from me for a lot of what they do, but looses a
| few points for some of the things they either forgot to do, or chose not to
| do. For business use, itâs a well rounded Linux distribution thatâs ready for
| the desktop for certain. But for the portable user and the home user, I feel
| that it needs to grow a bit more before it will find its way onto my
| shortlist of recommended Linux distributions. With what Iâve seen, Iâd really
| love for it to reach that level at some point, but for now itâs not. But I
| must say, the developers have done well and I look forward to future versions
| and all the great new things that they will be bringing about in the years to
| come! Â Â Â Â
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=277&pid=1

A First Look At CentOS 5

,----[ Quote ]
| After what has become a few weeks with it, I believe CentOS 5 is a
| worthy successor to previous versions. ÂIf you're in the market for
| an easy to use Linux operating system, you will find me suggesting it.
`----

http://linuxronin.com/content/view/41/9/

CentOS The Red Hat Clone Â

,----[ Quote ]