[News] [Rival] Mono and Moonlight Have Bad Karma

Analysis: How Moonlight 2.0 Fits into Novell's Linux and Open Source Plans

,----[ Quote ]
| But to critics of Novell's moves to align with Microsoft to offer Moonlight
| as a way to make Silverlight-enabled content work for Linux users, the bad
| karma continues. Instead of this being a good thing for Novell and Linux
| users, critics argue, the Moonlight project helps Microsoft maintain a
| leadership role in a development platform that only gives lip service to the
| open source community, they say.
`----

http://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/39062-analysis-how-moonlight-20-fits-into-novells-linux-and-open-source-

"So How Did Things Get to this Point? "

,----[ Quote ]
| Novell's CEO, a former IBM/Windows guy, told us. He said he couldn't sell
| Linux against Windows. So, he sold out Linux and the FOSS community by
| implicitly claiming that Linux contains MS IP, and now pays ROYALTY to
| Microsoft for every copy of SLES sold, in return for special treatment and
| immunity from possible lawsuits.
|
| [...]
|
| As far as MONO and MoonLight being on a Linux desktop, Microsoft's James
| Plamondon said it best: "Every application written to Microsoft's standards
| is a WIN for Microsoft..."
|
| In other words, "He who controls the desktop API controls the desktop."
|
| My question has always been: "What advantage for Linux and FOSS is there in
| giving Microsoft direct or indirect control of the Linux desktop?"
|
| ABSOLUTELY NONE. To do so would result, eventually, in the destruction of
| Linux, a goal Microsoft has NEVER ceased to attain. So, why do certain people
| CONTINUE to campaign, even with hostility, in order to help Microsoft attain
| it's goal?
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2009-08-24-007-35-OS-NV-0000

Recent: