[News] Linux Kernel Can Finally Drive (Turns 18)

Aug. 25, 1991: Kid From Helsinki Foments Linux Revolution

,----[ Quote ]
| 1991: Linus Torvalds, a 21-year-old university student from Finland, writes a
| post to a user group asking for feedback on a little project heâs working on.
| Heâs built a simple kernel for a Unix-like operating system that runs on an
| Intel 386 processor, and he wants to develop it further. The kernel
| eventually becomes Linux, which is released in 1994 and distributed over the
| internet for free.
|
| [...]
|
| To that end, Richard Stallman, a programmer at MIT, founded the GNU Project
| in 1984. Stallman and his collaborators began assembling the various pieces
| of a free operating system that would be compatible with Unix, strictly
| adhering to the idea that software should be not only be freely available,
| but also give its users the ability to freely experiment with its inner
| workings.
`----

http://www.wired.com/thisdayintech/2009/08/0825-torvalds-starts-linux

What We Use

,----[ Quote ]
| So why is all of this? Freedom. Linus Torvalds had no idea what his OS
| project would look like 18 years after announcing it, but I am willing to bet
| that he is proud. His kernel is now the most mature kernel on Earth. It has
| more hardware support than any other, and it is more widely used than all but
| the NT kernel. Anyone is free to modify it. Anyone is free to fork it. Anyone
| is free to redistribute it. And boy, do we. Most distributions use a
| different kernel configuration, and many have their own patch sets and hacks
| that they use to optimize the Linux kernel in some way. These changes can be
| trivial (as in GoboHide), or complex changes that allow one to use radically
| different driver models, processors, or initialization systems. Yet, all of
| the ways we use it, it's still Linux.
`----

http://elevenislouder.blogspot.com/2009/08/what-we-use.html

Related:

Free Software turns 25

,----[ Quote ]
| FSF volunteer and the short film's writer-producer Matt Lee said, "Stephen
| has generously donated his time to the cause of free software. His ability to
| communicate a technological and philosophical movement in terms of the basic
| principles of sharing and user freedom -- ideas that everyone can
| understand -- will introduce a new and broader audience to the benefits of
| free software."
|
| [...]
|
| Stallman began development of free-as-in-freedom Unix-like GNU software in
| September, 1983. In 1992, all the essential pieces of the GNU system were
| complete, except for one, the operating system kernel.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/09/02/free-software-turning-years-old

Happy Birthday Debian

,----[ Quote ]
| August 16th, 1993 is the date when the Debian Project was officially founded.
| A new Linux distribution at a time when Linux distributions were scarce
| enough. A distribution that was open to every developer and user as far as
| contributions when was unique.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20064/1054/

Debian Turns 15 Years Old

http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/28150/news.htm

Debian Project News - July 7th, 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| 16 August 2008 will mark the 15th birthday of the Debian project since its
| first announcement by founder Ian Murdock on comp.os.linux.development on 16
| August 1993. A coordination page for local Debian User Groups organizing and
| announcing birthday events is already available at the Debian Wiki.
`----

http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2008/06/index.en.html

Debian celebrates 15-year legacy

,----[ Quote ]
| Debian, arguably the most important Linux distribution, is readying to
| celebrate its 15th birthday on August 16.
|
| While a respected and widely-used Linux distribution in its own right, Debian
| has, over the 15 years, also been widely used as the base for numerous other
| Linux distributions, including the popular Ubuntu distribution created by
| South African entrepreneur, Mark Shuttleworth.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2662

Linux turns 17

,----[ Quote ]