[News] A Look at UK Government's Approach to Free Software

Software vendors and the UK Government: how to peer behind the scenes

,----[ Quote ]
| The Spencer System allows the Open Source advocate to counter the
| machinations of the cosy relationships between established vendors and
| government.
`----

http://www.siriusit.co.uk/myblog/software-vendors-and-the-uk-government-how-to-peer-behind-the-scenes.html

Recent:

Tories call for health computer systems cuts

,----[ Quote ]
| Mr O'Brien insisted that "open source" systems could be more secure. We guess
| he means open source database software run by government offices, not
| inviting all the world's under-employed programmers to rewrite the UK's NHS
| software systems.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1528873/tories-health-systems-cuts

Conservatives publish NHS IT policy pledges

,----[ Quote ]
| The Conservatives say they "welcome these conclusions" in part because they
| are "consistent with our plans to free the NHS from Labour's central control
| and interference so that it is locally accountable to patients and can focus
| on improving the results of their treatment".
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/blogs/tony_collins/2009/08/conservatives-publish-nhs-it-p.html

Archives names expert as new FOIA ombudsman

,----[ Quote ]
| Miram Nisbet has been hired to head the Office of Government Information
| Services, which is housed at the National Archives and Records
| Administration. The ombudsman's office was created by the 2007 amendments to
| the Freedom of Information Act to be an intermediary between government
| agencies and requesters.
`----

http://www.rcfp.org/newsitems/index.php?i=10828

Transparency against malpractic