[News] Ballmer and His Bartzmer Proxy Face Antitrust Barriers

Another Take on Microsoft-Yahoo Agreement

,----[ Quote ]
| McKenna Long & Aldridge partner and antitrust litigator Philip Bartz doesn't
| necessarily think it's a foregone conclusion that the partnership will fail.
| In fact, he says it "will be a close question."
`----

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/cm/blogs/bentley/another-take-on-microsoft-yahoo-agreement/?cs=35197

Microsoft-Yahoo Search Deal Won't Survive?

,----[ Quote ]
| At the very least, Cantor says, the DOJ will make Microsoft and Yahoo modify
| their existing deal.
`----
http://www.itbusinessedge.com/cm/blogs/bentley/microsoft-yahoo-search-deal-wont-survive/?cs=35171

The corrupted/ible US DOJ might help Microsoft out.

Recent:

Is the Microsoft-Yahoo Deal Anti-competitive?

,----[ Quote ]
| Matthew Cantor, a partner with the firm Constantine Cannon LLP, told
| ComputerWorld that he believes the deal will not get past regulators - at
| least not as is.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2009/08/24/is-the-microsoft-yahoo-deal-anti-competitive

Microsoft-Yahoo! 'Partnership' Is Anti-Competitive

,----[ Quote ]
| Now that Microsoft and Yahoo! have finally reached terms on an Internet
| search deal, it's time to focus on a critical question: Will antitrust laws
| permit it?
|
| The proposed "partnership," which calls for Yahoo! to exit the search
| business and rely exclusively on Bing, Microsoft's new search engine, has
| been billed as the first real (and, according to the parties, only) challenge
| to Google's leadership of the Internet search market. Yet, if the U.S.
| Department of Justice applies traditional antitrust analysis to the proposed
| deal, it's dead. And that, ultimately, is as it should be.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2009/08/10/anti-trust-laws-microsoft-yahoo-opinions-contributors-matthew-cantor.html

Google has little to fear from Microsoft-Yahoo deal

,----[ Quote ]
| The 10-year agreement calls for Microsoft's new Bing search engine to power
| Yahoo's search sites, and for Yahoo to sell premium search advertising
| services for both companies. The companies said they expect the deal, which
| must be reviewed by U.S. and European regulators, to close early next year.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/341660/Google_Has_Little_to_Fear_From_Microsoft_Yahoo_Deal?taxonomyId=71

Yahoo Searches for an End to Its Dog Days

,----[ Quote ]
| The Web portal alienated much of Wall Street with the terms of its search
| deal with Microsoft. But, with the shares now off 16% since the deal was
| announced, investors may want to step back and look at the bigger picture.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125001996427823529.html

Yahoo Chief Gets âNo Confidenceâ Vote on Search Deal (Update3)

,----[ Quote ]
| âItâs a tremendous vote of no confidence in Carol Bartz,â said Larry Haverty,
| a portfolio manager with Gamco Investors Inc. in Rye, New York. The firm
| manages about $20 billion, including 1.6 million Yahoo shares. âThis is
| anything but a boatload of cash.â
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aRcErip5RD1w

Video: Erick Talks Microsoft/Yahoo On Charlie Rose

,----[ Quote ]
| CHARLIE ROSE: Is this going to work?
|
| STEVEN LEVY: It has a lot of hurdles. I think the upfront money really isn't
| the key to Yahoo! The key is, Yahoo! is disbanding their search team, their
| engineering, and disbanding the team which built their advertising engine to
| sell ads on search. Now, these happen to be some of the most important
| aspects of engineering at a company there. And really, if Yahoo! wants to be
| a top Internet company, it has to have the engineering chops to keep doing
| that.
|
| So, it's going to miss out on that. And it will save money by not hiring --
| having those people to pay, but those are the people you want in your
| company.
|
| [...]
|
| And the big problem here is that Yahoo! really -- they kind of walked away
| from the most interesting fight on the Internet right now, which is search.
| And they handed it over to Microsoft for less than any of the previous deals
| that were on the table. The four real deals that were on the table going back
| to the $45 or $48 billion offer in February of 2008, the revised search deal
| that Microsoft offered, which included $8 billion to buy 16 percent of Yahoo!
| and $1 billion payment for the search part of the business. The Google deal
| that got squashed, that guaranteed $800 million in revenues. This deal was
| the worst of all the deals.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/31/AR2009073103245.html

Microsoft-Yahoo Pact To Face Regulator Scrutiny

,----[ Quote ]
| The new Internet-search venture between Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) and Yahoo Inc.
| (YHOO) is likely to face considerable scrutiny from federal antitrust
| regulators, according to government officials and analysts.
|
| The Justice Department will look at the deal carefully to be sure it doesn't
| harm competition by allowing two top Internet companies to team up.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090729-716340.html

Bartz, Bing tamp down Yahoo-Microsoft talk

,----[ Quote ]
| Bartz says search engine Bing unlikely to make significant mark
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/microsoft-revamp-raises-questions-on-yahoo-deal?siteid=yhoof

Bartz: Yahoo Is Fine, Thank You, Without Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/166049/bartz_yahoo_is_fine_thank_you_without_microsoft.html