Re: [News] GNU/Linux Saves Waste (CD|DVD Coasters)

  • Subject: Re: [News] GNU/Linux Saves Waste (CD|DVD Coasters)
  • From: JeffM <jeffm_@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:20:54 -0700 (PDT)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>Save a Burn – Use UNetbootin
> ,----[ Quote ]
>|So I thought wow, what a great tool.  I’ve recommended it to others before,
>|but never actually used it.  I’m glad UNetbootin added in the support for
>|Sabayon Linux.
>`----
>http://wgo.wolf911.us/?p=220

The coy Subject line and sparce snippets don't do this justice.
What it is is a way to install Linux from a USB thumbdrive,
or a from hard drive, or from a network--no optical disk required.
The app has a Linux port and a Windoze port.

Wikipedia's article rambles a bit less than the 2 linked
in describing what the app is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNetbootin#Features

Beyond that, the older article has a good bit of detail.

The newer article does add Sabayon to the list of distros
that are supported (Wikipedia already lists Gentoo)
--but that wgo article doesn't really say any more
than what the older article does.

...and paying $17 for a 2GB thumbdrive seems like a lot.
I've seen them for $2/GB;  $2.50/GB isn't uncommon.
...or maybe that wasn't USD.