[News] Geodata.gov and Open.gov Move in the Right Direction

Carbon Project Releases Open Source Dashboard for Geodata.gov

,----[ Quote ]
| The Carbon Project announces the availability of an open source dashboard for
| Geodata.gov, the federal government's information service for maps and data.
| The free application enables "at-a-glance" visualization of geospatial assets
| and monitoring of Geospatial One-Stop search functions from desktop PCs.
`----

http://www.mundogeo.com.br/noticias-diarias.php?id_noticia=14667&lang_id=3

Open.gov: The Meme Spreads

,----[ Quote ]
| It's really striking how the idea of open government has gone from nowhere a
| few months ago to hot meme of the moment. Here's the latest convert -
| Sweden...
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/08/opengov-meme-spreads.html

Europeans collaborate on an open-source robot, the iCub

,----[ Quote ]
| The iCub may have been designed to look and act like a child, but thatâs
| where the comparison to Vicki the Robot, from the â80s television show "Small
| Wonder," ends. It's not a schoolgirl who sleeps in the bedroom cabinet. Itâs
| the size of a 3-1/2-year-old, with the ability to crawl, sit up and play
| drums, thanks to dexterous hands. It has visual, vestibular, auditory and
| haptic sensory capabilities.
`----

http://www.thisisbrandx.com/2009/08/europeans-collaborate-on-an-opensource-robot-the-icub.html

Recent:

Transparency against malpractic

,----[ Quote ]
| As a result of my new enthusiasm to 'get out more' I found myself listening
| to a detailed and balanced 'non-advocacy' presentation from a respected OSS
| Watch staffer.
|
| He explained patiently how open source licencing worked and how it differed
| from proprietary licences. But what he did say whilst looking for an everyday
| resonance to make his points accessible to a non-geek audience, and which
| really sharpened every-one's attention, was that proprietary software was
| built on secret code whereas open source software had transparent code.
|
| Proprietary software IS composed of secret code. You can't read it, you don't
| know what it does (other than what you can see it do), you don't know how it
| does it and you can't change it.
`----

http://www.siriusit.co.uk/myblog/secret-code-and-the-damage-it-does-to-our-society.html

Tories call for health computer systems cuts

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1528873/tories-health-systems-cuts