Re: [News] HAM Radio and Red Hat Back Linux Show

Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 09:46:19 -0400, amicus_curious wrote:

"Moshe Goldfarb" <moshegoldfarb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:h73cnm$rhc$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Leave it to Linux to hook up with Ham Radio which is pretty much
almost dead.

Back in my youth I did the ham thing, but not for many years now. One thing that I find is that the minimalist nature of Linux, i.e. able to effectively use, or so the advocates claim, obsolete PCs with slow processors and minimal memory and storage, is akin to the radio amateur's quest for maximum distance with the least power input. They both strive to be, in essence, the world's tallest midget. I find that curious in both.

Very true!
I'm a ham myself but have not operated in years.

I still have some Heathkit, EICO, Collins and Hallicrafters
equipment from the 1960's.

Great!

I got my ticket in 1964

Started out with an HQ-110 and a Johnson Adventurer

Though I still have my license I am no longer active.

Had tons of equipment over the years but all I have left now
is an HQ-140-X that's about as old as I am

and a ten-meter CW transmitter that I made from an old , discarded CB-set

When ten meters is open I can actual "work" around the world with a small whip antenna located indoors (on the 2nd floor)

Since I used ham radio simply for talking to random people around the world...I've now (of course) switched to Usenet !