[News] New Kernel.org to Contain Features Found Nowhere Else

Some exciting updates expected for Linux kernel 2.6.31

,----[ Quote ]
| Some updates include a large patch for the btrfs file system which tunes the
| file system to achieve greater performance. It is also noted that in this
| release btrfs will be less memory hungry and the SSD mode has been improved.
| Early benchmarks comparing both standard and SSD modes have shown the early
| implementation of SSD mode to be less than ideal. I am interested to see this
| improvement, especially as  Flash-based SSDs increase in usage and
| popularity.
`----

http://blog.hydrasystemsllc.com/2009/08/26/some-exciting-updates-expected-for-linux-kernel-2631/

Linux is the most advanced kernel in the world. That's why Apple and Microsoft
are so nervous about it.

Recent:

Linux 2.6.31-rc6

,----[ Quote ]
| Lots of small fixes all over, spread out fairly evenly (50% drivers,  and
| roughly 10% each in arch, fs, kernel, tools/perf, "rest"). And things  do
| seem to be calming down, because outside of some further i915 displayport
| patches and a couple of perf-counter patches, almost all of them are pretty
| dang small.

Linux 2.6.31-rc2

,----[ Quote ]
| It's out there. Larger than I'd like, but the bulk of the changes are due  to
| some late arch updates (MIPS, and powerpc documentation).
`----

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/7/4/76

Linux 2.6.31-rc7

,----[ Quote ]