Re: Multi-Boot Servers and Virtual Servers with GNU/Linux

____/ Rex Ballard on Thursday 27 August 2009 16:57 : \____

>> >Red Hat is a bit late to the party.
>>
>> It's the usual OSS "innovation" - in the next year or two OpenOffice is
>> going to "innovate" the MS-Office ribbon.
>>
>> >To begin with, even plain old 32 bit Linux can
>> > fully utilize up to 4 gig of RAM.
>
>> So it's exactly like Windows then.
>
> I know there is a patch to make 32 bit Vista recognize the full 4
> gigabytes, is there a similar patch that works with XP Professional
> and/or XP Home Edition?
>
> The default installation only supports 3 Gig of RAM.
>
> Also, Linux garbage collection and heap management is much more
> effecient than Windows, so you don't have those horrible pauses in the
> middle of things like viewing video when you also have 20 other
> applications running at the same time.
>
> Windows tends to "fight" with VMs, very reluctantly giving the
> required amount of memory, often over several minutes, switching
> between native and VM on Windows is painful and slow.  When Linux is
> the primary OS switching to the VM is usually like any other
> application.
>
>> > 32 bit Linux with PAE can utilize up to 32 gig of RAM if you have it.
>
>> So it can utilize less RAM than Windows can. Didn't know that before.
>
> Windows SERVER 2008 can also be configured for 32 gig of RAM.
>
> I understand that Vista Ultimate 64 can also handle much more RAM.
> Unfortunately, you still don't get good performance because Windows is
> still plagued with disk drive and network latency.
>
> Now, if you are one of those people who only runs Office and IE, and
> runs each in "Full Screen" mode, where each application fills the
> entire display, then you may not have a problem or even notice the
> difference.
>
> If you're a "power user" who uses a high resolution display (1900x1080
> or 1900x1200) and may have 10 application windows open next to each
> other, then you will notice a dramatic difference.
>
>> > Linux uses the RAM not allocated to applications as disk buffers
>
>> Wow... disk caching. This is such cutting-edge technology.
>
> Windows does some disk caching, but Linux makes much more efficient
> use of the MMU, simply mapping big buffers or small buffers between
> processes and kernel, eliminating most of the latency of memoy access
> conflicts.  mapped memory is also passed using scheduler queues - a
> concept that dates back to IBM Mainframes.
>
> In fact, IBM contributed the scheduler used in Linux kernels, which
> was based the scheduler used on their mainframes.  Remember that those
> mainframes were designed to run thousands of processes concurrently
> and do it really efficiently.

There are several important projects -- including Flash -- which are available
for 64-bit Linux but not for 64-bit Windows.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Q. What kind of a dog says: "bofh! bofh!?"
A. A rootweiler.
 15:05:01 up 4 days,  2:25,  1 user,  load average: 1.55, 1.18, 1.11