[News] Evidence That OOXML is Just a Proprietary Wannabe ODF Catchup

OOXML as a response

,----[ Quote ]
| James D. Mason says:
|
|     I spent 22 years as the chairman of what is now ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34. SC34
|     is the committee that standardized SGML in the 1980s and now is
|     responsible for both ODF, supported by many open-source products, and
|     OOXML, the XML released by Microsoft in response to ODF. Neither ODF nor
|     OOXML has anything to do with ODA/ODIF, which have been dormant since the
|     turn of the current century but were still under development in the 1990s
|     in a committee that was parallel to the one that became SC34.
|
| Our past analysis: OOXML is a response. Thank you very much for the
| confirmation. Stronger language from Mason found in this article
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-179085/ooxml-as-a-response

Related:

Malaysia seen as top market for open-source convergence

,----[ Quote ]
| Malaysia is a leading adopter of open-source convergence software, according
| to key speakers at the AsterConference 2008, held recently in Kuala Lumpur.
`----

http://www.thestandard.com/news/2008/09/22/malaysia-seen-top-market-open-source-convergence

Let's complain about Microsoft restricting choice in the market (part deux)

,----[ Quote ]
| Yoon Kit wrote about being forced to pay the Microsoft tax when buying
| computers from computer manufacturers (eg Dell). I submitted a complaint to
| the Ministry of Internal Trade and Consumer Affairs and received an official
| acknowledgment from the ministry that the Penang branch office will
| investigate the complaint.
|
| I strongly urge everybody who uses non-Microsoft operating systems on their
| computers bought from Dell or any other manufacturers to write in through the
| web interface and make an official complaint. Make your voices heard so that
| we can stop being forced to pay for software we don't use!
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/09/lets-complain-a.html

OpenOffice.org deployed in Malaysian Schools

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/08/openofficeorg-d.html