[News] Wall Street-listed Companies Turn to Free Software

Wall Street companies now trying Open Source technologies

,----[ Quote ]
| Bangalore: Economic slowdown had a huge impact on the financial institutions
| around the world. Recession has forced these financial institutions to take a
| look at their budget as well as the technology that they are using. In times
| like this open source technology is growing in the capital markets because of
| increased cost pressures. Many Wall Street companies are now adopting open
| source even though there are many who still believe that any software that
| they develop is proprietary and has a competitive edge.
`----

http://www.siliconindia.com/shownews/Wall_Street_companies_now_trying_Open_Source_technologies-nid-60736.html

Using open source for IT

,----[ Quote ]
| The Tamil Nadu Industrial Investment Corporation Limited (TIIC) is a State
| Financial Corporation engaged in industrializing the state of Tamil Nadu
| through various financial schemes, including term lending. We commenced
| computerization in 1987 and have completed the IT enablement of our core
| operations such as loan disbursement, financial accounting and MIS, HRM, etc.
| However, these areas are not integrated with other business functions.
| Therefore, during 2008-09, the corporation took up integration of these
| functions on a centralized database concept similar to core-banking solution
| on an open source platform. The project is expected to be completed in
| 2010-11.
`----

http://www.expresscomputeronline.com/20090831/egovernancechampions05.shtml

Recent:

Red Hat celebrates its 10-year IPO anniversary

,----[ Quote ]
| Ten years ago today, on August 11, 1999, Red Hat saw its shares triple in an
| initial public offering that ushered in a new era of commercial open-source
| prosperity.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10307388-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Red Hat (RHT) Bullish Technical Alert - Trend Up 34.8%

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.mysmartrend.com/briefs.asp?storytype=sl&storyid=11805